Viewing Logix Code

The Plc Kid

So i got stuck helping with a project at the suister plant. The boss there wants the maintenance guys to be a able to look at a rslogix5 , 500 program offline for troubleshooting but not go online or connect.

I suggested making the files to pdf but he wants something more searchable? They do not want to buy another copy of logix for this.

Can i use RS ladder? Is it seachable,cross ref and stuff like that?

Using the rslogix micro ( free Version) will it open slc 500 files? I know it is geared for micrologix only and iknow you cant change a slc file but will it even open it for viewing?

I'm very surprised that he wants the Maintenance staff to only be able to look at the program *offline*. Does he want them to go outside so they can't see the machine, too ?

I agree that if the request is "offline review of the program at zero cost" then PDF printouts are all he gets.

Does the Maintenance staff use the same computers as the Engineering staff ?

If this were RSLogix 5000 I might recommend the "Service Edition", which doesn't allow editing. And of course, it violates the "make the cost zero" edict.

But it seems that the manager wants something even more restrictive. Do you use Windows Active Directory, or does everybody log in locally as an Administrator ? RSAssetSecurity might be an option of you have a well-managed IT environment.

Ken

Here we use FT AssetCentre for this so guys can look but not edit. Some can force Inputs but not outputs ,etc.

This in question is for a sister company and they have a pc in the maint shop with a login for the plc guru and the maint techs have a shared login. All plc's are on dh+. The plc guru also has a laptop with logix but that is about the sum of it.

I was sure i was correct in my assumption that pdf is the only thing that would fall into those limitations ut i wanted to dot my I's and cross my T's so to speak before i give the official answer of No.