Error when downloading with WinCC Flex ?

uptown47

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I'm trying to talk to an old TP170 color (sic) via WinCC Flex (I've converted the project from Protool) and I get the following error:

"The desired action cannot be executed. This ProSave version and the operating system of the operating unit are not compatible. Please perform an operating system update for the HMI device".

This also happens when I try and download via Protool.

I've tried to do an OS Update but it won't start it due to this Prosave error. I've installed the latest Prosave from the Siemens website (v7.4.4) but to no avail.

I've also tried the v1.1 but that isn't compatible with the TP170B.

Anyone got any ideas how to get this working? All I want to do is make a slight change to the screen.

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

;-)

I am guessing you are trying to download the wrong type of OS image for the panel. You can see what version that is required for the project in the Device Settings in WinCC Flex.

If you use WinCC Flex 2008, then the OS update will start automatically (after prompting), and it will automatically find the proper OS image version.

Hi Jesper,

I'm using the correct folder (the Protool images folder for Protool and the WinCC Flex images folder for WinCC Flex). The actual image is the correct one (i.e. the latest one for a TP170B). The issue seems to be with ProSave itself I think.

I've tried reinstalling ProSave but that hasn't worked. I've also tried running it through XP via VMware but to no avail.

I'm connecting to the screen via a piggyback connector on the profibus port of a 315-2DP. The screen is running on profi. I'm presuming the comms is working for it to find the screen and tell me I need to update the OS.

Any other ideas?

Thanks ;-)

When downloading via MPI or DP, there is the not impossible blooper of trying to download to the PLC in stead of the panel. You will then get the "incompatible OS version" message.

The TP170B has a real serial port. Try to download via that. Be sure to enable the port in the Control Panel of the TP170B.

Hi Jesper,

On the back of the TP170B there is 3 ports.
1) RS422/485 (IF 1B) PLC
2) RS232 (IF 1A) PLC
3) RS232 (IF 2) Printer / Download

Which port do you mean?

Many thanks

;-)

PS. I'm addressing the screen correctly. It's address 4 and I'm addressing 4 in the software but I'm more than willing to connect directly to the screen and try that. ;-)

That's what I thought!

I'm struggling then because all we have is a USB MPI/DP lead. The port you are talking about is a 'male' and the end of our lead is a 'male' too.

The laptop doesn't have a 9-pin D-type com port, only USB ports.

So, I take it we can't connect directly to the screen?

Thanks for your help

I have a simple cheap USB/serial adapter.
If you laptop has a docking port, it may have an integral serial port.
The cable must be null-modem female/female.
The cable you have is a straight male/male. It is only for MPI or DP.

Questions:
What version is your WinCC Flexible ?
What OS version does it say for the panel in the Device Settings ?

We're using WinCC Flex 2008 SP2
The OS version in the device settings (within WinCC Flex) is:
TP170B 6" Color 7.2.3.0 (this is the latest of the 3 devices that are listed. Selecting any of the others results in the 'download' icon disappearing).

The actual image version of the screen (i.e. booting into the TP170's Control Panel) is as follows:
Image version 6.0.2.23

Thanks ;-)