Why DeviceNet Tag Generator cause crash window error?

wilsonzhu

Hi,

I want to use DeviceNet Tag Generator tool to creat tags in RSlogix 5000 project, but it cause window crash error.I already config 1756-DNB in Rologix 5000 project and Create RSnetworx for devicenet and Mapped VFD devicenet I/O address to 1756-DNB card. What else I need to do? Why casue crash window? Thanks,

Please describe the error message in detail. Is it an error message in Windows, in RSLogix 5000, in RSLinx, in RSNetworx, or in the DeviceNet Tag Generator utility.

What version of everything are you using ? In particular you want to make sure RSLinx and RSNetworx are of a compatible version.

Did you ask RA Tech Support this question ? If so, what did they say ?

It's an error message in windows after click generate tag button. My Rslogix 5000 is ver 17.00, Rslinx 2.57 CPR9 SR3 classic gateway, RsNetworx V9.00 CPR9,SR1.
Please describe the error message in detail. Is it an error message in Windows, in RSLogix 5000, in RSLinx, in RSNetworx, or in the DeviceNet Tag Generator utility.

What version of everything are you using ? In particular you want to make sure RSLinx and RSNetworx are of a compatible version.

Did you ask RA Tech Support this question ? If so, what did they say ?

When I have my choice, I very strongly prefer v10 of RSNetworx. Version 9 had some very specific dependencies on other software (particularly RSLinx Classic).

My central question is: What does the error message say ?

The error message is : DeviceNet Tag Generator Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for inconvenience. if you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost
Please tell Microsoft about this problem..... Send Error report/Don't send.

That's about what I expected, but it's crucial to actually have the error text.

The DeviceNet Tag Generator Utility accesses both the *.DNT and the *.ACD file and modifies them both, so the crash could have a complex cause.

Certainly a reinstallation of the DeviceNet Tag Generator Utility can't hurt. You can download the current release by starting at the RSI Download page:

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/downloads/

Select Downloads / Utilities / RSLogix and then Search. The Tag Generator will be the fourth link.

That will be "Build 87", i.e. 1.0.87. This has a couple of updates over the 1.0.77 that was shipped on the RSLogix 5000 17.00 DVD.

While it does not affect you, there was an issue with the DeviceNet Tag Generator and RSLogix 5000 v18.00 , 18.01, and 19.00. The details are in Knowledgebase document 114654.

I noticed you're running RSLogix 5000 17.00. While this editor is fine, the firmware that shipped with it on DVD had a CIP connection fault mode bug that was fixed in firmware 17.03 or so with most controllers. See RA Knowledgebase Article ID 62845 for those details.

If you aren't already signed up, make sure that you sign up for automatic notification of at least the safety and functional service advisories from the RA Knowledgebase.

Thanks Ken, after I installed RsNetworx for Devicenet Ver 10.0, the probleum is solved. Thanks a lot!

That's about what I expected, but it's crucial to actually have the error text.

The DeviceNet Tag Generator Utility accesses both the *.DNT and the *.ACD file and modifies them both, so the crash could have a complex cause.

Certainly a reinstallation of the DeviceNet Tag Generator Utility can't hurt. You can download the current release by starting at the RSI Download page:

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/downloads/

Select Downloads / Utilities / RSLogix and then Search. The Tag Generator will be the fourth link.

That will be "Build 87", i.e. 1.0.87. This has a couple of updates over the 1.0.77 that was shipped on the RSLogix 5000 17.00 DVD.

While it does not affect you, there was an issue with the DeviceNet Tag Generator and RSLogix 5000 v18.00 , 18.01, and 19.00. The details are in Knowledgebase document 114654.

I noticed you're running RSLogix 5000 17.00. While this editor is fine, the firmware that shipped with it on DVD had a CIP connection fault mode bug that was fixed in firmware 17.03 or so with most controllers. See RA Knowledgebase Article ID 62845 for those details.

If you aren't already signed up, make sure that you sign up for automatic notification of at least the safety and functional service advisories from the RA Knowledgebase.