L32e ethernet bandwith question

jimcav

I am using a 1783-ems08t managed switch and the plc ( l32e ) is plugged into port 1 to me it seem that the plc is really slamming the network. when i log into the switch under alarm setup the plc is running at 48% and the other 5 items are at 10% or lower. is this ok or is the plc running high not sure please advise.

Thanks for the help
Jim Cav

I'm going to take a guess because you have not described your network.
The CompactLogix and ControlLogix make heavy use of multicasting to send frames from one to many (all the devices in your subnet). This allows all the nodes to share the data on the subnet but is quite bandwidth intensive on a 100K ethernet network. So those numbers look entirely within reason for an L32E. I've seen 100K ComapctLogix networks where ALL the bandwidth was consumed with only around 10 Ethernet/IP devices.

You might want to look at using your managed switch to minimize the size of your multicast domain if the other devices are not running Ethernet/IP. Or you might want to put a router in and further separate your domain between control, HMI, LAN and WAN. VLANs are a great way to break up your networks - but do require a router to bring them back together.

You can also control the frequency of the multicasting in RSLogix 5000. The default tends to be ridicously fast for some applications that just don't need to be updated all that fast (maybe Ethernet/IP drives?)

Last edited: