micrologix 1100 and encoder

hounddog

Have done a couple of projects using a omron cqm1h plc and absolute encoders so that you would be able to know the position of something when it stopped, etc....
Have never done this with a ab plc, have only used incremental encoder since it was not important to always know the exact position of something at all times if you stopped and restarted the process before the cycle was complete. Could someone give me guidance on how you could do this with a micrologix 1100 plc? Examples, etc... Thanks

On the omron cqm1h plc's that i used it had a special I/O card that you used for the grey scale encoder, if the ab 1100 is not the correctl plc for this, would the 1400 or 1500 work, or stay with a omron.

It really depends on the specific encoder, its wiring, and what you may have expected of the system. If the wiring is standard input voltages then a DC input card would be fine. If the GCD command is not available, Gray to binary conversion is not difficult even with standard instructions.

The omron encoder that i used was a E6C2-AGC and the plc had a absolute encoder port, is there anything like this for a ab plc. If so, could you possibly post a sample program, that would be worth a lot. Thanks

The number E6C2-AGC doesn't seem to match a model with Omron. Do you have a link to information on this specific item?

Attached is a file showing the GCD command and the equivalent ladder code.

Apologize for the delay, had to make a emergency trip to el salvador to work on some dye equipment. Here is the model number of the encoder that i used on omron.
E6C3-AG5C-720

CQM1H-ABB21

This is the omron inner board that you can order for the cqm1h plc, not sure if there is anything like this for the ab plc of micrologix line or not

That's apparently a 720 codes per turn encoder. After performing the Gray Code conversion you will have to subtract 152 from the result to get the final count.

Thanks, that is what I have done with the Omron PLC's using the absolute encoder inner board option.
It appears that the only way you can use a absolute encoder with a AB micrologix series plc, is to use multiple inputs. Does anyone make a input card for the micrologix series that you can connect a absolute encoder to?