Analog Encoder to Micrologix 1100

ddnnis

Has anyone interfaced an analog encoder to the analog inputs on a Micrologix 1100? I'm thinking about using an absolute single turn rotary encoder (0-10V) with 6mm shaft, such as the Baumer ATD 2A B14 Y 1. This encoder has 12 bit resolution. I've done several 12 bit gray scale encoders to the Micrologix 1500, but in this application I'm trying to conserve the Micrologix 1100 inputs for other use. The applications fastest encoder speed will be 3 second per revolution, so its a somewhat slow application. If anyone has any thought's or low cost encoder solutions please let me know. One of my main concerns is the potential for noise on the analog signal. Any info, thoughts or concerns on other potential issues would be helpful.

Would anyone know the advantages of the gray scale encoder vs an analog encoder in this sort of application. I just wonder if the gray scale would be more reliable over time? Would the analog be, less reliable and repeatable over time, due to analog drift, noise or even temperature change? I'm trying to find out if anyone has used analog encoders over extended period's and what the results were.

Last edited: