Flex I/O HART Messaging/Commands issue

o_man_ra23

Gday all,

I am trying to set up HART messaging to get secondary variable data from a HART enabled Rosemount 8800D flowmeter from an AB L62, across controlnet, through a Flex I/O IE8H module.

Due to current site standards for my customer, I am using V16 of RSLogix5000, with a major rev 5 Flex ACN adaptor mapped as a rev 4 unit, and an IE8H/B being used in Series A Mode. From what I have read into the modules from the Rockwell documentation, this is a perfectly legitimate way to go about things. I have set all the equipment up with the pseudo revisions in RSNetworx with success.

The problem I get is that with ANY HART command that I send, I get back a response code of 16#8b. This is where things get tricky. There are 2 sources of information as to how to decode this.

According to Rockwell, the 8 indicates that the "Loop Status Available" bit is set, and the b is a reserved response error code.

The second source is http://iaci.unq.edu.ar/materias/laboratorio2/Hart\HART.pdf and this says that the 8 indicates a Communication error (Page 65), and the b indicates the following combination:
  • Checksum Error
  • Rx Buffer Overflow
  • Overflow (undefined)
This lines up with the tag descriptions in the example code that I have been *******ising. (I have pulled it apart, and understand how it works - and it appears to be setup correct)

I have triple checked the messaging with the Rockwell documentation, and all the data arrays are correct, the messages are working without error, and the HART commands and formatting is all as per the documentation.

I get this error with every command I have tried (00, 03 and 15). If it were a short form addressing issue, then command 00 would still work.

As an extra indication that it is an issue with the commands/messaging, I can get the raw analog value fine, and the underrange alarm is working on all channels (turns off for the channel the device is connected to)

Today's attempts will involve the field device, however if somebody thinks they know where to look for the problem, please let me know.

Cheers, Owen

Back to trying with this. Research on the field device has come up with nothing. I am going to version up the controller to V17 and see how that goes.