PLC 5/40E, SLC 5/03, SLC 5/02 Diagnostics & DH485 Network Survey

JElder

Hello,

This is my first post and I'm fairly new to PLC's and systems to please bare with me :eek:

I wish to perform an intrusive network survey on a system to determine the following: -

Continuity Checks
Loading Checks
Loss/Margin Checks

The network consists of a main PLC which is connected to 5 node PLC's, 4 of which are SLC 5/03, one is SLC 5/02. The network is DH485.

I've been doing some reading on DH485 networks as they are not something I am familiar with although I believe the cables are made up of 2 x twisted pairs.

Is there a specific tool for performing continuity checks/loading checks/and loss/margin checks on these networks or can this be done through RSLinx?

Also how do I go about recording details such as Successful Messages, Transmit messages, bad messages, queue errors, link dead timeout, token claim won, token claim lost, SOL success, token retries, token fails etc

Can this be done through RSLinx?

Many thanks,

John

If your SLCs have diagnostic files assigned to their respective DH485 channels, you can view all of the traffic statistics by going online with each of them using RSLogix500. Look in the upper part of the left pane of RSLogix500 for Channel Configuration, and expand it to see the branch called Channel Status.

I highly recommend adding diagnostic files to your SLC programs if they aren't already there (requires offline programming and stopping the system to download).

Thanks, looking through the RSLogix 500 help file it seems the Channel Configuration data is what I need.

Can you check how loaded the network is in a similar fashion?

I.e. I would like to establish if it is running at full capacity

Right, back again.

I was at the site all day today with varying degrees of success.

They have a main PLC 5/40E, connected to 4 x SLC 5/03 PLC's and 1 x SLC 5/02 PLC.

There is also 2x Allen Bradley KF3 serial adapter modules connected to the DH485 network however one had been removed and the DH485 plug is just hanging loose.

I assume this will pull down network performance?

Secondly, I managed to connect to only 2 x SLC 5/03's using a serial cable, the rest when I plugged in could not be discovered in RSLinx... any ideas as to why this is?

What drivers should I be using for the following?

PLC 5/80E and 5/40E?

Many thanks,

John

Secondly, I managed to connect to only 2 x SLC 5/03's using a serial cable, the rest when I plugged in could not be discovered in RSLinx... any ideas as to why this is?

Protocol, default is DF1. Check it's offline file channel configuration to be sure.

What drivers should I be using for the following?

PLC 5/80E and 5/40E?

Their serial port defaults to DF1 protocol. But can be configured for ASCII.
It also can be dip switch set for RS422 instead of RS232 ( default)

Firstly thank you to everyone that helped me.

In the end I had a chat with a very helpful site technician who explained why I was having connectivity issues.

The SLC 5/02 required a 1747-PIC adapter which I didn't have.

Once plugged in to the SLC 5/02 I was able to view all the other PLC's on the DH485 network.

I still couldn't connect to the PLC 5/40E and the PLC 5/80E over DF1 Serial for some reason. Apparently this is because I need a DH+ adapter to connect via the Data Highway port?

I believe this can either be a PCMK card or a KT+ card? Can you guys advise regarding this?

Many thanks,

John

The PLC5/80E Channel 0 Configuration is as follows.

Comms Mode - System Point-To-Point
Serial Port Baud Rate 19.2K
Bits Per Char - 8
stop Bits - 1
Parity - Notne
Error Detect - BCC
Control Line - No Handshaking

Channel 1A - DH+

Channel 1B - RIO Scanner

Channel 2 - Ethernet

I'll propose that we purchase that USB->DH+ Cable

I guess it would also be worthwhile to invest in a 1747-UIC cable?

The 1747-UIC is a USB to DH485 converter. Your PLC5/80E does not support DH485.

It will work with your other devices that support DH485 though.

I see, my mistake just read the literature on the rockwell site.

Do they have a USB to DH485 cable with the converter built in, similar to the 1784-U2DHP?

The PLC-5/15, PLC-5/30 and PLC-5/40 controllers all support Data Highway Plus (DH+) networking, so you need a DH+ to USB interface.

The one sold and supported by Rockwell Automation is the 1784-U2DHP.

It has an 8-pin round mini-DIN plug that will plug into the Channel 1A connector on the PLC-5/30 and PLC-5/40 controllers.

To connect to the PLC-5/15, you must connect to the DH+ network elsewhere along the network, or get a plug converter. Grace Engineering makes one called the C-ABDH.

There are two companies, EquusTek and DataLink Gateways) who make USB/DH+ interfaces that are not licensed or recommended by Rockwell Automation. Use their devices at your own discretion.

Hi
i check the price of 1784-U2DHP found it expensive
is there any other economic solutions?
what about using 9300-USBS + 1784-CP10 is it good solution or meets some problems,
did you know other product as CP10 but direct USB