Mcrilogix 1500 fault at startup

kolyur

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose a fault on a Micrologix 1500. I have a 1764-28BXB base (24vdc power) with an LRP processor. When power is applied, the PLC faults immediately. RSLogix says the error is D79h, "Expansion I/O module 13 generated an error". Well, slot 13 is a 1769-IF4 analog input module. It's the last card in the rack and there is an endcap in place. There is also a 1769-PB2 power supply about halfway down the rack, so the power supply distance rating of the analog card should not be exceeded. I looked in the IOS function file to see the specific fault code for slot 13, but it just reads "0" (no faults).

The funny thing is, if I clear the fault in RSLogix, the system will work fine until the next power cycle. All of the analog channels work properly. So, it seems like there is some kind of momentary condition at power-up that is causing the fault. I've tried setting the "Ignore Configuration Error" checkbox in the slot 13 advanced configuration (no effect) as well as removing all wiring connections from the card (no effect), and powering the analog card from bus power vs external power (no effect).

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Double and triple check the "Bus" connection and the "end cap" connection. Make sure they are secure.

DIP Switch on the IF4

I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose a fault on a Micrologix 1500. I have a 1764-28BXB base (24vdc power) with an LRP processor. When power is applied, the PLC faults immediately. RSLogix says the error is D79h, "Expansion I/O module 13 generated an error". Well, slot 13 is a 1769-IF4 analog input module. It's the last card in the rack and there is an endcap in place. There is also a 1769-PB2 power supply about halfway down the rack, so the power supply distance rating of the analog card should not be exceeded. I looked in the IOS function file to see the specific fault code for slot 13, but it just reads "0" (no faults).

The funny thing is, if I clear the fault in RSLogix, the system will work fine until the next power cycle. All of the analog channels work properly. So, it seems like there is some kind of momentary condition at power-up that is causing the fault. I've tried setting the "Ignore Configuration Error" checkbox in the slot 13 advanced configuration (no effect) as well as removing all wiring connections from the card (no effect), and powering the analog card from bus power vs external power (no effect).

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I suspect your PLC power is coming on before your EXTERNAL 24VDC supply to the analog input module. (Factory default DIP switch setting for the 1769-IF4)

If your design is intended to have external power to the analog module, then ensure your power up scheme makes the 24vdc available to the analog module, prior to the plc power.

If it is merely an design ovesight, then filp the DIP from external to internal, and your problem will be fixed.

If it is merely an design ovesight, then filp the DIP from external to internal, and your problem will be fixed.
I've already tried that, the switch position makes no difference.

I've also tried removing and re-attaching the end cap and analog module at least once. I'll try again tomorrow just in case.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Troubleshoot

Float and isolate your field wiring away from the IF4 module. Then, SHORT (jumper)each analog input on the input module to com.

If the system powers up without fault, then your problem is "field" related. (signals beyond expected norm).

If the PLC still powers up with fault, then replace the IF4 module.

I did try pulling the whole terminal block off the module, which accomplishes what you're suggesting except the jumpers to COM. I'm beginning to think it's a bad module. Still need to triple-check the endcap connection...