AB licensing types

Chris Taylor

Lifetime Supporting Member
A quick question.
I’m going to get a project soon that will require the use RSlogix5000 and RSlinx.

When I used these a few years ago the licenses were on floppies and could be moved from PC to PC. What’s used now? I’m asking as the system is going to be completely isolated and internet activation is just not an option. Are the licenses moveable?
Ideally for me it would be secure USB sticks.

I haven’t spoken to the local rep yet, because

a) he’s a salesman and will tell me what he thinks I want to hear,

and

b) when he realises the size of this project he’ll never leave me alone

Chris

It is called Factorytalk Activation now.

You dont have to be connected to the internet directly. But you should be able to move files to and from the computer. You must send some information to Rockwell, who will then send a code back to you.

The licenses are tied to the harddisk serial number, or the network adapters MAC address.

You can move the license to another computer (called "rehosting") but it requires again that you contact Rockwell for a new code. I think you can do that once a year with no questions asked.

I believe there is also a possibility to buy a special USB license stick.

Thanks Jesper

Thats what I feared, the customer wanted floating licences so he has redundancy, I have convinced him that USB keys can do the same. the alternative is to buy additional licences, but he will see it as a large expense for what we want to do.

if the usb keys are not availbe I might have rethink the whole thing.

Chris

I believe yet another possibility is to have a central license server.
Then you can have 2-3 licenses and maybe 10 users. Only the actual active used licenses count.
Maybe that is what you are after.

Powerplan -

USB keys are available from Rockwell, they run around $100 the last time I got one, but you still need internet access to activate the license on the USB drive, after that you're good to go.

JesperMP's central server is a good recommendation, it eliminates someone from walking off with the USB key or losing it all together. But the server comes with more overhead...

Don't be scared of your loacl reps, yes there is the "account manager" who is the salesman, but good distributors have excellent technical people behind the curtains that can be invaluable.

Paully's

Not so much scared as wary, I want to know in my own mind what I need, and then go to them, I have great support from Rockwell on this project regarding porduct selection but licencing seems to be a gray area of knowledge to the tech guys when I spoke to them. I just thought I'd pick some brains.

I will have a couple of backed-up servers running on the system for the SCADA so prehaps thats the answer, its only to permit on site programming once the systems live and that should not be that often

Chris

Mickey

Thanks for the link, I can't access though as I don't have a support account, I will have in due course, and I don't mind paying for support if its good, but prehaps licenceing options or information could be filed under sales effort and made available. who knows?

Chris

Mickey

Thanks for the link, I can't access though as I don't have a support account, I will have in due course, and I don't mind paying for support if its good, but prehaps licenceing options or information could be filed under sales effort and made available. who knows?

Chris

That one is free, you just need to register ( also free). I don't have a contract
either.

Mickey

OK I was logged on but its a diffrent web site (not UK) and you have to log on again.

That has answered all my questions, thanks it looks like I can make a USB dongle and move it around, whats important to me is that I can remove the dongle (and put it in the fire safe) then no one can play.

many thanks

Chris

Mickey

OK I was logged on but its a diffrent web site (not UK) and you have to log on again.

That has answered all my questions, thanks it looks like I can make a USB dongle and move it around, whats important to me is that I can remove the dongle (and put it in the fire safe) then no one can play.

many thanks

Chris

Your welcome