Numeric fields in PV+ (RSView M.E.)

DairyBoy

I have a series of numeric input "buttons" that send data to a Compactlogix timer, so the value requires mltiplying by 1000 in order to correspond with the operator input value. No problem: add the necessary ?*1000 to the optional expression field. (There are 30+ of these, so it's far cleaner to do this rather than with multiplys in the plc). Question is, does the displayed value follow the converted value by default (Label field left blank) or do I still have to use a /1000 function in the plc and echo it to the hmi? The Label field doesn't seem to handle implicit maths operations (it displays all "extras" entered here). A blank Label field shows on the editor as a blank rectangle. And no system to test it on. What to do? Thanks.

DairyBoy,

I am having exactly the same problem at the moment.

If you do the maths then the display shows the result of that math equation. So if you input 100 seconds multiply it by 1000 to get the timer preset then you will get 100000 on the display.

I am working on an add on instruction and will post if I get a result.

Mark

An easier way to do this would be to change the scaling on the tag you are assigning the value too(inside of FactoryTalk View). Then you don't need the optional expression at all and the scaling will handle the conversion for you. I suspect a scaling factor of 0.001 would work a treat.

Dravik,

That scaling could only be done if you are using a tag that was created in RSView. If you are using a 'direct' tag the sacing function isn't available.

Mark

Okie,

I agree and in an ideal world I could create all the tags I wanted, but if Rockwell created an import .csv then I would use it all the time just for this purpose.

Mark

Hmm, interesting. So what's the effect on a running application if the Label field is left empty? No display at all, exact reflection of the keypad entry or still the *1000 ?

Last edited:
One more reason to avoid the overrated direct referencing approach.
Absolute agreement here.

Okie,

I agree and in an ideal world I could create all the tags I wanted, but if Rockwell created an import .csv then I would use it all the time just for this purpose.

Mark
So? If you are so in love with the poorly implemented, cumbersome, and stupid "Direct Tags", use them for most everything.
Where you need to do proper scaling, create an HMI tag. Sure, it's annoying to mix the two, but as you found out, on that broken product, it is the only way to achieve satisfactory results.

Okie,

Mark

....Um, there is a tag import/export tool. Just create a single analog tag and export it to CSV. Use that tag as a template and go to town.

Paully's5.0, Yep, that works. Much quicker than the built-in "editor" o_O Strikes me that they totally missed a perfect opportunity to produce a really good hmi package. It's just as clunky as pb32. Ivory towers (that we pay for) and fingers in ears... Anyway, thanks for the tip.

Just to put a lid on this: I've scrapped the few (hmi adjustable) timers in the program and used counters instead. No more scaling headaches. But I've still had to make my own 1s timebase to drive them! C'mon, Rockwell, what's the matter with you guys? This is the FUTURE of AB plcs?? :confused:

OkiePC, As you've asked, I'll reply, but I've made the change to counters now and as you've probably gathered I'm still learning on this hmi and there's no time left to "play". It's a bit more complicated than just sending a number: the screen has 30 input fields, each of which sends data to plc storage locations for use by timers. There are 24 recipies. When the operator selects the job on the screen, he needs to see the current values stored in the plc for that job and be able to edit them via the same fields. The only way I can see to do this is when the new value is entered via the keypad, write it to the plc "storage" locations and use that array of addresses as the source for a copy*30 function to show all fields on the screen as the numeric labels within the buttons. (Writing as one set of tags and reading as another). Big assumption here: that the keypad-inputted value is overwritten by the "label" value! That's it in a nutshell. Despite my gripes, I do like many of the differences to the slc; particularly the multidimensional aspect to the tag database. The 24 recipies are 3 systems x 8 "jobs" so 3-dimensional arrays are spot on. Just gotta keep those tag names short or the ladder gets way out of hand! Oops, big ramble. Thanks anyway.