Siemens MP377 upload os and download project help

gouch

Hello,

I have to make edits to a siemens MP377 hmi screen that I did not create. I have the offline file (Using winCC Flex 2007)and have made my edits to this file and tested them with the simulator.

I then went to do a download the file. I put the hmi into transfer mode and then selected transfer from my PC. An error came up that asked me to perform an OS update.

I see there is an option for OS update in the transfer tab but I am unsure as to what procedure is necessary to backup and restore the licenses if necessary, to be able to go back to the existing settings if something goes wrong.

I have to do this onsite in a production break. It would be very helpful if somebody who has experience doing this can give me the main steps I need to go through. Also how do I get back to where I started if I make a mistake.

Thanks for your help.

You must use the Automation License Manager in order to transfer licenses to and from the panel.
A regular HMI without archives, recipes, or smartaccess, does not have any licenses. But check it anyway to be sure.

As a safety precaution, I would transfer the licenses with ALM, AND do a complete image backup with Prosave.
Notice: Prosave does not backup the licenses.

After that you can safely do the OS Update, and subsequently download the modified application. Finally transfer the licenses if there were any.

I was hoping to get a more detailed answer as I have little experience in the exact steps required in backing up and restoring WinCC flex applications.

This HMI is a panel PC type with a windows system running on it.
I have taken a backup and it is a file type unknown.psb. Can I just download this file and then no matter what changes i make (like OS update), this will restore the application to where it was before I made the changes.

I need to be sure that I can get back to my starting point if I do not get to complete my new os update and download.

How can I be 100% sure if there are licenses on the HMI PC, is there an automation license manager on the HMI or can it be checked from the programming laptop.

Are the licenses included in the .psb file.

Can anybody give me a breakdown of the steps I need to follow to update the os and to download the project and ensure that any license requirements are fulfilled.

What started as an MP377 is now a panel PC !?

Unfortunately I dont know all the steps for a panel PC.
I doubt that the Prosave backup contains the complete PC image.
I am sure there must be a manual somewhere how to create a complete backup of the IPC.

As to the licenses, there must be an ALM on the IPC.
You can also connect to the IPC and handle licenses remotely, by it is much simpler to just use the IPC.

For Simatic PCs, there is always a number of critical information collected in a booklet of yellow pages. Read it.

Thanks JesperMP for your responce. The Device type in the device settings is a MP 377 15'' Touch 1.0.3.0. The hmi is running on a windows ce platform. I can the desktop and other icons as it starts up. This is why I referred to it as a panel PC.

Sorry for the confusion.

I am more used to and comfortable with dealing with Allen Bradley PLC and HMI products.

OK.

"Are the licenses included in the .psb file."
No, that would be too easy.
In ALM on your PC, you have to use the function "Connect to target device".

With the .psb file and eventual licenses removed from the device, you are safe to do an OS Update.