RSLogix5000/firmware

Narlin

Lifetime Supporting Member
Trying to connect RSLogix5000 to 1769-L32E Series A, i am getting a message that i must either update the controllers firmware, or insall rsLogix 5000 support for the fjirmware.. Controller firmware revision is 01.15, but that is not an available selection for the project. Selections available are Revision 13 through 19? The software is new - and i downloaded and installed and activated versions 10 thru 19. However, it isn't clear to me which of those is running?

sounds like this is a brand new "fresh out of the box" CompactLogix system ... in that case you MUST flash upgrade the firmware before you can program the unit - or go online ...

most people would go with the highest level software that you have available (Ver 19?) and flash the controller to that level ...

PS Edit ...

However, it isn't clear to me which of those is running?

you can always tell which version of RSLogix5000 you're currently running by looking under Help > About at the main menu level ...

Last edited:
thanks Ron. I will play with it for bit. The FlashControl seems to have a lot of files. I just need to look thru them and choose.

Yeah. Brand new out of the box.

think of it as something like having to format a brand new hard disk for a computer ...

be SURE to carefully match up the model number of your unit with the firmware version you're planning to use ... if in doubt, post a screen shot and ask the forum BEFORE you start the flash ...

thanks Ron. I will play with it for bit. The FlashControl seems to have a lot of files. I just need to look thru them and choose.

Yeah. Brand new out of the box.

As Ron pointed out, the ControlLogix family is different in that the Firmware Version, and RSLogix5000 Programming Software must match. So, see what the highest version of RSLogix5000 you have installed, and Flash the Processor to that.

The highest version I have is 19.01, if there are features of the newer versions you want or need. (i.e. AOI etc). You might want to upgrade first if you are "In Support" as AB/Rockwell refers to it, that should be no problem.

Stu.....

OK. I haven't done the firmware update yet, but I would probably like to choose Ver 17 rather than 19.02 (the latest that i have). Reason is that i may want someone else to maintain the software in the field and they may only have ver 17.7.63 of RSLogix. Is there any reason that you know of to update all the way to 19? Also, when i go to update there is a caution about possible ethernet problems and i am referred to a firmware revision 1769-RN017A. I am going to look that up.

i may want someone else to maintain the software in the field and they may only have ver 17.7.63 of RSLogix. Is there any reason that you know of to update all the way to 19?

that is an EXCELLENT reason to flash it only to version 17 ... as far as I know, there are no "must have" advantages to using 19 over 17 ... (someone please straighten me out if I've missed that one) ...

Set the IP address and make double sure BootP is turned off before you start!

Be very careful and follow the procedure exactly. I recommend to use a desktop PC or make sure your laptop doesn't go to "sleep" during the process and kill power to the LAN card. Also, it is wise if using ethernet to do this with a crossover cable or isolated hub/switch without a bunch of other traffic that could potentially interfere.

Here's a summary of my first adventure with the Compactlogix boot firmware:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=56258&highlight=Compactlogix+firmware

Last edited:
There are considerations to keep in mind when determining the firmware version to flash the processor to. Here are a few that I feel are key.
Are you starting a project from scratch? If so, then you are more at liberty to choose a version. Before committing to a version, verify that it has the capability to support your functional logic.
Check release and tech notes for anomalies that could impact your programming logic.
System hardware will play a role in the decision; does the software version under consideration support the hardware; this is most important dealing with motion and drives. I believe version 17 will limit you from some of the new Kinetix and PowerFlex drives.
If the intent is to download an existing program to the processor, you will want to determine the processor version in the program file and flash to it unless you again verify that there are no changes that have been made to newer versions that are not compatible with the program.
Flashing the processor is the start. There is a compatibility matrix of hardware components vs. processor version on the Rockwell site that you will want to review as well. There may be instances that will require you to flash a new component down for compatibility with your processor version installed.