remote access to Panelview through gsm

dmkar

I have a CompactLogix and a Paneview Plus standing in a remote area.
Sometimes i want to check and change parameters on the Panelview from home. At home i have a PC with an internet connection, at the othet location i have a mobile phone connection for accesing internet.
Can i connect the panelview to the internet via this connection. I do not want any remote communication with the PLC. I only want to access the HMI screens.

Well, there's nothing natively in the PV+ to access the screens remotely. There is a product for SE called Viewpoint which lets you view SE screens as a webpage. The first release was view only, I don't know if they released an update to it yet to allow control. I also remember a version of Viewpoint for ME systems. I don't have the details of that at my fingertips.

But if you want to control the system remotely, you can remote in to the processor and "run" the ME app on your computer. Or set upa computer at the location and remote in to the computer to control thngs remotely. I've used a Red Lion display which has the web portal built in. It's an idea which Rockwell should copy.

Well, there's nothing natively in the PV+ to access the screens remotely.

Thats not 100% accurate. It depends on the PV plus model. PV plus CE models have the ability to run vnc and there is a technote on installing and setting up VNC on the PV plus. In addition the new PV + 6 units that are coming out soon have that ability built in.

A standard PV + can also be converted to a PV + CE by purchasing the CE flash card / ram.

Yeah, I forgot about the CE exposed versions. I also haven't read up on the new ver. 6 PV+s. But I haven't come across many CE PV+s in the field either.

I only use CE models for that reason. I can remote in and see what the Idiot (Operator) sees on the hmi when he says a button is not there. I can push it for him over a VPN connection.