Access Panelview CSV file from remote server

PLC_Johnny

I am trying to copy a .csv file from a PanelView's SD card onto a a remote windows server.

I understand that the panelview does not allow you to directly export to another computer, but is there a way to access the file some other way over a network?

Thanks in advanced.

If it is a PanelView Plus 7 Performance you could use VNC or FTP.

I am not sure about non performance or version 6, may have those features as well, but I am not 100% sure.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

I agree that the most likely method will be to enable FTP Server on the PV+ itself.

PV+ has a nearly 20 year history, so the specific model and firmware version will matter.

Terminals that were labeled "PanelView Plus CE" or "with Desktop features" will typically support FTP Server.

The FactoryTalk View ME Transfer Utility only allows upload/download of *.MER files and font files, and only from specific filesystem directories.

Thank you for pointing that out, especially using TightVNC !

Some flavors and editions of VNC won't support file transfer at all, but it's good to know that it's there in the Windows CE version of VNC Server. The review of the Windows CE filesystem folder names is also handy.

In 2002 I can imagine a couple of developers talking at lunch in Vancouver:

"Hey, there's a space in the removable storage paths, but not in the RSViewME runtime folder path."

"Nobody's going to care as long as it's consistent. I don't want to go back and re-write that routine because I already use space as a terminator."

"Yeah, you're probably right."

Thank you for pointing that out, especially using TightVNC !

Some flavors and editions of VNC won't support file transfer at all, but it's good to know that it's there in the Windows CE version of VNC Server. The review of the Windows CE filesystem folder names is also handy.

In 2002 I can imagine a couple of developers talking at lunch in Vancouver:

"Hey, there's a space in the removable storage paths, but not in the RSViewME runtime folder path."

"Nobody's going to care as long as it's consistent. I don't want to go back and re-write that routine because I already use space as a terminator."

"Yeah, you're probably right."

Hi Ken, No fault of yours, I can not follow what you are saying here. I am very curious. Could you explain what the "Review of the Windows CE File System Folder Names" is?

Also what does space as a terminator mean?

I can tell you that if you are using CSV Export feature, it will create a folder called "USB STORAGE" if one is not found, and start to dump all the CSV exports to that internal folder until the HMI becomes frozen. To make matters worse, any new USB drives inserted will be named USB STORAGE2 and 3.