OPC for Dummies

creativepaper

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anyone have any links to good explainations about implementing OPC.

I'm using Wonderware, Opto22, ControlLogix and FTView (ME, but could splash for SE if required).

Most sites I've found give the overview of what OPC is and does (verbatim from the foundation) or trying to sell a product that does absolutely everything anyone could dream of.

Ideally I would like to have Wonderware or FTView to access whatever information from the Opto22 or ControlLogix I want them to without being tied to a specific PLC.

I think that each of the software products you mention, you simply have to choose that the software connects to an OPC server rather than an integral PLC driver.
When setting up the OPC Server you can often browse for it (when the OPC Server is installed on the PC), or specify the name manually.
Similarly, when setting up tags you can often browse for them (when the OPC Server is installed on the PC), or specify the names manually.

Fiddle about with an OPC test client (they are normally free !) to get an idea of naming conventions for the OPC Servers and the variables that the OPC Servers gives access to.

Notice, that you typically have to setup a "connection" or "topic" in the OPC Server. This connection or topic points to the PLC you want to access to.

I'm playing with the MatrikonOPC Explorer and they have an integrated server which is nice.

I have a spare controlLogix, so I should be able to set up topics in RSLinx lite and then read them with the Matrikon program.

I'll post more questions when I stumble across them. Cheers for pointing me into the right direction.

FYI

RsLinx Lite does not support DDE/OPC. You will need a licence version. (OEM,Signal Node,Pro,Gateway......)

Cheers for the links. I don't know how I missed that one on the Matrikon website.

Thanks for the clarification Mickey on the RSLinx Lite. I would have prefered a greyed out menu button instead of non-functionality as its led to confusion on my part.

Next steps are the tutorials and to get the RSlinx version upgraded so I can play.

Kepware's KEPServerEX will support Suitelink connectivity from Wonderware, which is the preferred way for Wonderware. They also provide a private lable of the the server. FTView does OPC you can use RSLinx if you are connecting to a ControlLogix, their private label of the server (KEPServerEnterprise) does not include our ControlLogix driver. You could also just use KEPServerEX which has connectivity for ControlLogix and OPTO22 (SNAP controller and brains only).

We also offer a class the explains OPC and how it works. You could also look at classes offered by the OPC Training Institute.