Bubba meets penny pinching. OT

Ned_Flanders

I know there has bee a few threads recently about bubba and some about penny pinching purchasing departments but the two
met at work this week.

Bubba the fitter had to change a pnuematic cylinder on a robot then came after me because the reed switch didn't work. This was after he had modified the mounting because it was "Different".

I said, "That's a steel cylinder - the reed switch won't work - there's no magnet".

Bubba looked in the parts bin again and found the right cylinder, unmodified the mountings then fitted it.

All would have been well except the plant manager can view the downtime system from anywhere in the country and phoned up to ask why the line had been broken down for 3 hours......

I don't mean to be argumentative with this, but I don't get the reference to the penny pinching here. Bubba - sure, I get that, but 1) all indications are that the company invested in the proper spare (Bubba eventually got the right one) and 2) as for the Plant Manager is concerned, his response just sounds like good management to me. Am I missing something?

Steve

Steve,
Quote from another thread: " Daisy in purchasing found a cheaper one and substituted it without running it past engineering or maintenance; Its cheaper because it doesn't have a magnet in the piston to actuate the limit switches."

Yes, in that thread the subject makes sense - been there, lived through it, too. I find it just a touch bewildering in this thread. That's all.

Now back your regularly scheduled program...

Steve