1771-ife problem

swaneyj

This morning we had a power blip. When this happened my 1771-ife card stopped reading ch 3-16 ch 1 and 2 are reading. What could be my problem?

Do a search fir IFE.
I bet your card configuration in the BTW is the culprit. Look in the configuration for that card. This has been talked about more than a few times.

Does the processor have an EEPROM? Not up to date.

Post your .RSP file and someone will help you look. ( zip it first)

another straw at which to grasp:

if you just had a power "dip" you might want to try a full power "cycle" ... IF (big IF) it's safe to do so, try turning the PLC completely OFF for at least a few seconds - and then turn it back ON ...

and definitely try to post your RSP program file ...

Still having the problem! I have contacted several people who know PLC 5 very well still do not know what the problem is. The last guy I talked too, says I have the bits set that mean I have a under range and or over range problem. but when I go to the min and max words they are Min is lower than Max. Plus why would this change only because the power was dropped for just a few sec.????????? I have a old and new .RSP I will email and you guys take a look. Not sure about posting it on here.

I am looking at Lad2 rung 5 and 6 this is my BTR and BTW

Take a look at N7:66 thru n7:82 this is my ch. 1-16 I am reading ch. 1 and 2 but not the rest.

Now take a look at n7:63 and n7:64 in binary and tell me what you think?

so where's the file? ...

we'll be glad to take a look - but you need to ZIP the RSP file and "attach it" right here in the thread ...

you can email it to me if you like, but I'm teaching this week and it will probably be Saturday before I'll have a chance to look at it for you ...

Last edited:
Plus why would this change only because the power was dropped for just a few sec.?????????

quick answer:

the IFE module is an "intelligent module" – which basically means that it's got a "processor" inside it – which basically means that the module is a "computer" ...

like all computers, it's susceptible to voltage spikes and sudden power interruptions ...

in simplest terms, the BTW is intended to "boot" the IFE computer when it first powers up – by sending "configuration data" to it ...

if the "boot" cycle is interrupted – or otherwise messed up – by a sudden power spike, etc. then all bets are off – and the IFE "computer" won't work right ...

sometimes a FULL power cycle will just restart everything from scratch – and successfully reboot the module's "computer" ... did you try the FULL POWER CYCLE that I recommended earlier? ... in many cases, that gets things going again ... if it doesn't, then we'll have to dig deeper – but we'll need to see the RSP file in order to do that ...

good luck with it ... wish I could be more helpful ...

I did a complete reboot and also swapped the 1771-ife card with another and still the same problem. Not sure how to paste the zip file to the post.

I am looking at Lad2 rung 5 and 6 this is my BTR and BTW

Take a look at N7:66 thru n7:82 this is my ch. 1-16 I am reading ch. 1 and 2 but not the rest.

Now take a look at n7:63 and n7:64 in binary and tell me what you think?
There is data in all of those points, are you saying the values do not change?

While online, do you see the BTR instruction cycling?

Now for the BTW to configure the card (I did not pick apart all the config data, these comments regard the way it is programmed):

It looks like the BTW is conditioned by the module to only happen if the card requests it. So, put in a brand new card which has never been configured, and this bit will go true. The BTR will read this bit (N7:62/0), the BTW will execute, and as long as it is the right size for the IFE card revision level, the BTW will get a DN (done bit), and the configuration will take effect.

Now, if the card has a valid configuration in it (the card might be used or repaired, and will keep the last configuration indefinitely AFAIK), then it will sit there happily interpreting the data as it thinks it should which may not fit your present application.

You may want to try forcing the BTW to execute with a temporary edit:
While online, delete the BTR rung and change the XIC N7:62/0 to XIO N7:260/15 on rung 6. Then test the edits for a couple of seconds and watch to see that the BTW executes and gets done, then untest the edits, and cancel them to put your logic back how it was.

If the above works for you:
Since this problem could return anytime a used module is swapped in that spot or any other slot similarly programmed, you may want to consider an alternate means to trigger the BTW. You could have a maintenance screen on an HMI or SCADA system that would allow qualified personnel to force the configuration to the modules as one example.

Data on 3- 16 do not change. I checked the signal comming in and it is getting a ma signal. Of course its different on the different ch.

I did something like that. It is toggling the (en) and (dn) So it is communicating. I even went to the card took ch. 1,2 and 3 off and sent a signal to the card using a 4-20 ma signal generator and sent a signal to the different ch. 1 and 2 are changing but nothing on 3-16.

Is it possible to have a chassie problem?

That's just it I don't see a difference either on the set up. Except
N7:62-64 which is the invalid scaling bit and the out of range bits.