Step 7 NetPro connections

Jeebs

Hi,

Got a question.
Got this project where we'll be using a S7-412 to communicate with several devices using Ethernet. Devices include SICK-scanners and Festo PLC's.

My question is, whats the difference between adding the devices as 'Other Station' with a connection or just using an 'Unspecified' connection?

Exactly what are these other devices ?
What Protocols do they support ?

I think that the "Other Station" is a more structured way to make unspecified connections. It simply means that the connection details are specified in the properties of the Other Station, in stead of set manually in an unspecified connection. So if you have many connections and make frequent changes, you only have to update the Other Station and not all connections.