FactorTalk ME "Failed to read the expression"

It seems like a shortcut problem, have you tried to run a display while Ftview ME is open just to check your shorTcut (TRIMMER) and check rslinx enterprise at the same time ???

The shortcut is working for other tags on the display, i have several counters displayed that are working properly.

For example, this one is working fine :

{::[TRIMMER]N7:52}

Try using a bit delimiter of " . " instead of " / ".

The element you're addressing is a BOOL type, right ?

I checked; FTView accepts either "B3:8/0" or "B3:8.0" syntax and communicates both successfully to SLC processors.

Are you certain B3 has ten elements ? What kind of object are these Connections defined for ?

A couple of quick things to try:

Use a backslash (\) instead of a forward slash.

Try accessing using the bit address only. For example, B3:9\0 is the same as B3\144.

Keith

It's definitely a forward slash / that you use as a bit delimiter in RSLogix 500.

I can't re-create this error myself any my guesses (too few elements, etc) generate different errors.

Can you post the precise syntax and the context (a button, etc) that it's used in ?

The syntax I was using is in the first post (at the top, easy to overlook)

That bit is supposed to reset a bunch of counters. I've since tried writing a 0 to the locations with the counter values and that's not working either :(

Thanks for your help .. still trying to figure this out.

Last edited:
Oh, it's in a Macro ! That makes more sense than if this was an address for a Button.

The way Macros work in FTView is that they evaluate the Expression, then write the value of the Expression into the Tag. If the Expression evaluates to True or False, they write 1 or 0.

The problem is that the "Tag" field is empty. That's the destination address for the value of the Expression. Because that field is empty, FTView can't write to it and gives you that error. I duplicated the exact error text by duplicating your macro.

To use a Macro like this to set a bunch of Boolean addresses, put the addresses in the Tag table and put just a zero in the Expression.

The way I would prefer to do this isn't with a FTView Macro but by setting a single internal bit and then using relay logic to perform RES instructions on all the Counters.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help

Here's my new setup, and nothing at all happens when I hit the reset button that runs the macro :

(at least the errors are gone !) :)

I'll double check with the guy that did the ladder about the B location. He said that was the reset for all the counters.

fail3.jpg

Last edited:
Remember that Macros, Alarming, Parameter Files, etc are only executed by the FTView Runtime. You need to either create and launch a runtime, or use the "running man" icon to launch a Test Runtime.

The simpler "Test Display" function won't run a Macro button.

If you've done all that, you do need to check the ladder logic itself.

If I were the ladder logic author I would probably have used an XIC instruction, looking for the value to be "1", rather than the zero you're setting it to.

This sort of thing is more easily accomplished with a Momentary Pushbutton object, rather than a Macro Button.

Last edited:
Some feedback, problem solved:

I've taken your advice and gotten with the ladder programmer and set it up linked so that we can just use a single pushbutton in the HMI.

It's working great now.

Turns out, he had set the RESET to reset the counter but it wasn't updating the numeric file location storing the value. Got that fixed and now everything is working great.

Thanks a bunch for your comments.