I think Allen Bradley is ****ing me off (again !)

RacerX10

I purchased FactoryTalk View Studio Machine Edition, works great.

The FactoryTalk "View Station" now seems to be timing out after 2 hours.

Are they trying to tell me I have to buy a separate product to run the @#$@#ing application that Studio creates ??????

It's on the same disk as Studio, that makes it appear it's all done with the same activation.

Thanks for any help clearing up this confusion.

Look at this page.

I think you may have bought the wrong package. There is a package that is basically just for development, and there are packages that come with the ability to run X number of screens.

Talk to your distributor and they may be able to help you sort this out.

I was looking here before purchase :

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/performance/view/viewme.html

and took that to mean the two items listed on that page are included.

1) FactoryTalk View Studio: Configuration software for developing and testing HMI applications.

1) FactoryTalk View ME Station: A traditional "stand-alone" HMI solution that packages a server and client for use on a PanelView Plus, PanelView Plus CE, Rockwell Automation Industrial Computers, or other industrial computer running a supporting Microsoft Windows operation system

This bit me once too. I was too used to the way RSView32 works.

Greg

So what do I need to actually run this simple little 1 screen application I've created on the target PC ? ( *without* a 2 hour timeout :) )

Thanks ..

Last edited:
As you can see from the link that I provided, it can come either way. With a demo or the ability to run X number of screens. The link you provided is accurate, it just doesn't provide you all the details you would need to make the correct purchase. Somehow you came up with the part number that you ordered though? Distributor help you with this maybe?

If you order: 9701-VWSTMENE you will just get a demo of Station.
If you order: 9701-VWMR015AENE You will get the ability to run 15 screens.

We buy the first package (and likely the one that you purchased) because we only develop for PVP terminals, but the station demo allows us to run the application to test it without the terminal handy.

So what do I need to actually run this simple little 1 screen application I've created on the target PC ? ( *without* a 2 hour timeout :) )

Thanks ..

If you want it to run permenantly on a PC, you will need to purchase the Station license that allows for the number of screens in your application.

Yah the first one is what I ordered from the local distributor.

Any suggestions on what I need to do to clear this up ?

Thank you.

Well, you still need Studio ME if you want to edit anything. You need ME station to actually run the ME app on a PC. As was said before, ME station software is licensed by the number of screens that your app has. They just broke apart the editors from the runtime packages ala RSView32.

What PLC are you talking to and what protocol?

edit: ask your distributor to help you clear this up.

SLC 5/05

My local distributor is a little clueless. I've called AB directly to try and sort this out .. waiting on a return call now.

Just out of curiosity, how would this have worked if my target was a panelview plus ? Do they sell them by # of displays or something ?

Thank you.

No not exactly. Although I have heard of another interation of PV+ with a more restritive amount of memory (PV+ Compact?) The other PV+s are sold i beleieve with two different memory configurations. On those there isn't a strict Screen limit.

The only reason I ask is because you could give Archies AdvancedHMI a try. Google it

Just out of curiosity, how would this have worked if my target was a panelview plus ? Do they sell them by # of displays or something

As far as I know (and as jkerekes mentioned) there isn't a limit to the number of screens on a PVP. The only limitation is the memory size. I guess the exception would probably be the compact line.

Panelview Plus Compact

The Panelview Plus Compact has a limited number of screens (25) and alarms (200).

It takes a few minutes to downsize\change settings for a regular plus project to a compact version and download it.

I would recommend that you contact Rockwell Software directly and start a case number with them explaining your misunderstanding of the original purchase, and also call your distributor armed with that case number, and they should (if worth their salt) allow you to trade up for the difference in price between the packages. There should be no more than a days delay in getting you a license pending a p.o. And, you can always threaten them with Red Lion if they stall on ya'. It worked for me. We got credit for 4 panelview 300 micros and two visits from corporate HMI dude, but it was too late because I had already installed the G304K and was an instant fan of Crimson 3