S7-300 --> s7-1200

cjd1965

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi
We used S7-300 comprehensivley

My boss is looking at pricing and is asking me why we dont use s7-1200 on smaller projects.

A small project would be upto 32 inputs and 32 outputs and 8 analog in and 4 analog out

I would spec the high end S7-1200 cpu

I realise some/most blocks would need modified and lack of STL.

Is SCL available, and what other pitfalls would I find.

Cheers

I'm having problems with V10.5 and V11 compatibility. Other than not being able to go online with my small amount of 12 month old S7-1200's everything else is good.

I'm having problems with V10.5 and V11 compatibility. Other than not being able to go online with my small amount of 12 month old S7-1200's everything else is good.

mmmm....not good. I dont want to visit a site to find i cant connect in 12 mths time... any ideas or fixes?

Seems nothing really negative so far

mmmm....not good. I dont want to visit a site to find i cant connect in 12 mths time... any ideas or fixes?

Seems nothing really negative so far
Almost everything about them is fantastic. I think it they're easy to navigate, ideal for the ladder guy who wants to make the jump into the Siemens world of FC's and FB's. I'm not complaining about not being able to go online with the V10.5 / firmware 1.0 programmed 1200's, as i'm tipping V11 SP2 will fix this (or I will come across a helpful FAQ on the support site). Note to self: I still have the V10.5 software hanging around if I get desperate.

Hello
From my experience I found documentation to be scattered throughout web sites. But I actually like all the digging and expermenting. Here is a couple of links. Some documentation is very good, I read there motion control manual and within several minutes of finishing manual I was wired, programmed and into motion control (PTO).

Manual

https://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/llisapi.dll?query=A5E02486680-03&func=cslib.cssearch&content=adsearch%2Fadsearch.aspx&lang=en&siteid=cseus&objaction=cssearch&searchinprim=&nodeid5=38721251&x=17&y=8

Podcasts 1
https://www.automation.siemens.com/...step7/step7-basic/podcasts/Pages/Default.aspx

Podcasts 2
https://www.automation.siemens.com/...c/podcasts/Pages/Default.aspx#PLC Programming

JesperMP has made a report that you'll find in the Download area, named "[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]TIA Portal v11 review.pdf". Might be worth a look.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kalle[/FONT]

Regards
Tom

Hi is there a selection guide to explain why to use S7-300 above a S7-1200 for a smaller system.... ie what would i be missing, features etc.

Seems profibus is one.

Basic Panels are missing the high end features of the MP terminals ... can you get an audit trail option for these?

I guess I need to get my rep in for a chat

Cheers

Profibus master / slave modules are available for the 1200's. Haven't used them yet, i hear they are relatively expensive ... But i have used the Modbus 485 module and related instructions with easy success. Added benefits of the 1200's profinet; using $50 din mount 4 way unmanaged switches, $4 patch leads and easy integration onto the corporate LAN. Starting to get back at the IT idiots now!!!

I really recommend the IM151-8 CPU. You dont have to learn any new PLC languages. It is just like a S7 315-2PN/DP, except for the integrated DP port, and a little less memory and performance.

At the same time, ditch Profibus and go for Profinet. It is easy, and the IM151-8 has an integral 3-port switch.

I am not a friend of profinet yet (talking about Step7). We had an issue about reading counter values (32 bits) from several Sinamics Gs. It is not possible in cyclical mode (IO, PKW/PZD). Had to read it acyclically (slow and unpredictable update freq.). And there is a limitation of concurrent acyclical jobs on the different CPUs.
So here we go again, a new learning by failing story.;)

Jesper, what kind of IO units do you (happily) use with PN?

Kalle