Twido + ATV12

cezarica

Hi,

I'm using TwidoSuite in an application where I control via MODBUS protocol from a TWDLMDA20DRT a variable speed drive ATV12HU15M3 from Schneider Electric.

I got the Communication parameters excel file where all addresses are listed and managed to set the frequency but I haven't figured out what I need to actually make the ATV start. I tried writing a bit at address 16#2135 with:

LD 1
[ %MW0 := 16#0182 ]
[ %MW1 := 16#0007 ]
[ %MW2 := 16#0105 ]
[ %MW3 := 16#2135 ]
AND %M1
ST %MW4:X0

but nothing happens. Could someone point me to the right direction?

Thank you.

I have been working on an already programmed system using Canopen Bus.
It uses PLC outputs to start the VSD's
That may be your only way - not sure
I normally start VSD's with PLC outputs - safer method

I was thinking at that alternative as well, but want to get that writing of bit working at least for proof of concept. :)

you need to Bridge the VSD run inputs
Then control the freq. 0 ~ XX
but there may be an issue with the drive enable and run contact timing.
You can use your system start/stop to enable the drive.

Check the manual for settings - I am fairly sure you need a physical
connection to the terminals.

Hi Cezarica,

Never used the ATV12 on Modbus yet, but have had a 312 talking to a Micrologix 1100 via Modbus. Can you break this down and check each element as you go?

Firstly, check your Modbus communication code is correct (maybe use alternative equipment or something like ModSIM).

Then establish that the drive is configured correctly - have you set the drive to respond to NETWORK commands and not via the keypad/pot or an EXT reference?

Somewhere to start maybe?

Hope this helps.

Rob

The ATV12 is configured to connect via modbus and I managed just fine to read/write the frequency setpoint. The only problem I'm facing right now is that I can't figure out how to tell it to start/stop spinning the motor.

I've asked someone from support and told me to use a word instead to write a bit.
Please use the Write one word function in place of Write one bit as done in the example .

The Command Word Address is 8501 in decimal format and 2135 in HEX format.
To start the drive the command word should be written with 16#000F to quick stop the Drive it should written with 16#0002."

I've used the code I had for writing the frequency setpoint but changed the address and values as instructed but still nothing happens.

Code:
LD    1
[ %MW0 := 16#0182 ]
[ %MW1 := 16#0007 ]
[ %MW2 := 16#0105 ]
[ %MW3 := 16#2135 ]
[ %MW4 := 16#000F ]
[ EXCH2 %MW0:9 ]

Last edited:
The correct procedure for controlling a drive using comms is described in the manual. Previously this was known as the Drivecom standard (it now has a new iec number)
See the manual
http://www.schneider-electric.cn/downloads//85257689000007EE/All/C862370820972CBC852578380069022A/$File/ATV12_Modbus_EN_V1-CN.pdf

I would not use the method described by iant
Does not sound safe or reliable to me

I use comms (normally ModbusTCP) to fully control Altivar drives (using the drivecom method) in almost every project I do, and it always works well

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Using the Drivecom standard is not just setting the command word to a value. You need to go through a whole start sequence. Please look at page 17 of the manual I posted the link to previously. (tried to post the image but failed)

Last edited:
Like I previously pointed out, I got all the things required to make it work but it doesn't, thus why asked in here hoping one would shed some light, not point me to the manual, basically telling me to RTFM.

It is an involved sequence that requires programming to follow the state map shown on p17
as a start when the ETA word =16#xx50 (NST mode) you need to set the CMD word to 16#0006, this should then cause the ETA to change to 16#0031, only then can you set the CMD word to 16#0007 and so on through the chart.

Well, I saw that but haven't understood exactly what and where to write. Could you give me an example?

The correct procedure for controlling a drive using comms is described in the manual. Previously this was known as the Drivecom standard (it now has a new iec number)
See the manual
http://www.schneider-electric.cn/downloads//85257689000007EE/All/C862370820972CBC852578380069022A/$File/ATV12_Modbus_EN_V1-CN.pdf

I would not use the method described by iant Does not sound safe or reliable to me

I use comms (normally ModbusTCP) to fully control Altivar drives (using the drivecom method) in almost every project I do, and it always works well

Hope this helps

Hey Geoff read both my posts
Don't make that type of comment as I only suggested the bridge because it was proof of concept.
And I did not want to get into a full discussion as to what type of safety system should be needed.

Last edited:
Ian I had read all your posts

I have been working on an already programmed system using Canopen Bus.
It uses PLC outputs to start the VSD's
That may be your only way - not sure
I normally start VSD's with PLC outputs - safer method
CanOpen also uses the DriveCom standard - so no you don't need to use physical PLC outputs
Not sure why you consider this 'safer' when comms is used you must handshake between status word and command word in a particular sequence. If the vsd is part of a safety system then the standard enable signal is not rated for safety applications, you either need a separate contactor or if the drive has it then the safety rated input.

but there may be an issue with the drive enable and run contact timing.
You can use your system start/stop to enable the drive.
No you should be using Drivecom method, bridging the enable will probably leave the drive enabled and I think it will be very difficult to reset any faults using this configuration

Check the manual for settings - I am fairly sure you need a physical
connection to the terminals.
No physical connection is required between the plc and the drive when using complete comms control