Encoder problem

angi

Hi Guys

There is a problem for Encoder, I am using a incremental single ended encoder, the display for the encoder signal should be 0-359 degree, but when I spin the shaft, the reading go up to 32000 and then back to 0-359 range.
Anybody could help me figure out the cause.

Thanks

Hi Guys

There is a problem for Encoder, I am using a incremental single ended encoder, the display for the encoder signal should be 0-359 degree, but when I spin the shaft, the reading go up to 32000 and then back to 0-359 range.
Anybody could help me figure out the cause.

Thanks

How about telling us what Manufacturer and Model of Encoder you are using, and what Manufacturer and Model of Hardware you are using it with.

Stu....

I just hooked up the encoder with a third party control pannel with a counter module in it. the reading suppose to back to 0 when it reach 359, for example, when you manually spin the shaft, the reading will go up from 0 to 359, and then from 0 to 359 again. but the reading will go up to 32000 started from yesterday.

thx

there is no much useful info from the maker, i had already try to change the counter module, but the problem is still there.

it sound like calibration not in place..ir the pulse reader *encoder giving away
i had have face something same like ur problem ..

i using encoder pulse reader and connected to red lion module for fan damper control..the function sound like urs..the fan damper can be adjust from 0~100 vice versa..once encoder get faulty and change to new the red lion module go crazy -100 to 9999...
after few strugle ..than i try to do the adjust or calibration and walla it work....back to normal

I just hooked up the encoder with a third party control pannel with a counter module in it. the reading suppose to back to 0 when it reach 359, for example, when you manually spin the shaft, the reading will go up from 0 to 359, and then from 0 to 359 again. but the reading will go up to 32000 started from yesterday.

thx

It sounds like your encoder has 32000 pulses, and the counter module is supposed to do the math for your display to convert it to 0-359 degrees. Do you have any kind of user manual for the 3rd party control panel?

Another question is do the pulses reach 32000 after one rotation of the shaft (when it normally would have reached 359) or does it reach 359 at the end of one rotation and then just keep counting until it reaches the 32000 count?

If this is not just a display problem, but a case of the count actually going longer than one rotation of the shaft, then perhaps you should consider using a flag and prox for an external reset of the count in your PLC.

Cheers,
Dustin

edit: I see from Danaher's website that the encoder model you are using has 1024 pulses/rev, so it sounds like the problem is definitely with the control panel interface that you are using. It would have to be programmed to convert your pulses to degrees, and then reset after 359. Hope this helps

Last edited:
what is the setting of the counter module -
Assuming you have used A-B Pulse Input
And Maybe the Z input to reset
The module should be set to Quadrature

Also does it require Pull-Up resistors?

Please give information about counter module