SLC500 Eeprom question

Soggy Canuck

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a SLC500-L30C fixed hardware plc with a bad comm port(someone jammed loose wire ends into the comm port a some point in time). I have another L30C lying around with newer firmware, is it possible to pull the Eeprom from the older L30C and boot it on the newer PLC? I want to pull the program out and rewrite to a different platform.

I dont know this for sure but I would think that the Eeprom format would be the same for all the L30C's. I suppose it is possible that the newer unit would not be able to use the program. Most likely you would get a Corrupted message of some kind. I would suggest that you just try it on an uninstalled PLC for bench testing the functionality. I wish I had a better answer.

For those who are interested....there is no problem taking an Eeprom from any L series SLC500 and plugging it into another L series in order to read the program in the case of hardware failure I was even able to take an L30 program and load it into an L20 (Major fault but I was still able to pull the program out)