CPu Versamax reboot to factory default

Tracteur

Hi guy we just finish a job with a GE CPUE05 Versamax.
The last week-end the cpu reboot all alone and was reset to factory state, the program and all the setup have disappear.

This already happen to some of you ?

It sounds to me like a battery problem. A VersaMax CPU is shipped with a plastic barrier to prevent the battery from discharging while backing up a the RAM for no good reason. Did anyone remove the barrier when the system was put into operation?

The system was operating for more than three weeks with no problem.
Some guys at the "shop" talk me about noise on the phone line. A modem is connected via rs-232. Is that possible ?????

Its unlikely that noise on a modem would erase the program and hardware configuration. The battery is a backup for the PLC's RAM memory. As long as the PLC is powered, there is no need for a battery. You can even remove power for a few minutes and not lose the memory contents because a capacitor in the power supply module will maintain RAM. Your original statement that something happened over the weekend suggests to me that the PLC was turned off for a longer period of time than the capacitor can maintain the RAM. Since the battery was disconnected or not installed, you lost memory.

tracteur,
I'll take some more info from the client about powerlose in the weekend and look further this way thanks

i hate to suggest this but on more than occasion i have had clients state things like these.

cpu reboot all alone

only to find that someone has done something to make this happen. try powering off the plc and see if it loses memory if it does try the suggestions above. you would be surprised at what a curious maint tech can do. hope this is not true in your case

tracteur,

you would be surprised at what a curious maint tech can do.

I have an electrician that thinks cycling power until the alarms clear is an actual step in trouble shooting.....No joke! On time, during a thunderstorm, he told me, "I tried cycling power to it about a dozen times." So yeah, Bubba could be your first problem....FYI I had some VersaMax CPU that wouldn't boot back into run mode after losing power and it was a firmware issue, not saying that what it is but you never know....

With the VersaMax one can save the Logic, configuration and initial values to flash and have them all copied to RAM on power up, this needs to be done manually. There is also an option for just logic and config to copy to RAM on power up. These options are part of the CPU configuration so they must be set manually and downloaded after any change. The default is to NOT copy anything from Flash to RAM on power up. Also the VesaMax has an option to write a number of %Rs to Flash from a Service Request in logic these then would be copied to RAM if initial values were set to copy from Flash on power up.

Update :
No power loss occurs by the weekend. Nobody shut down the power.
The integrator keep telling me that i alrdeay have noise problem on phone line. I'm still sceptical.

A phone line can have very high voltages compared to a processor using 3.5 volts. Its RAM can very possibly be damaged by a noisy phone line. Have them disconnect the modem from the PLC for a while to see if the problem goes away.

Hi guy we just finish a job with a GE CPUE05 Versamax.
The last week-end the cpu reboot all alone and was reset to factory state, the program and all the setup have disappear.

This already happen to some of you ?

Hi Good day,

I understand that this is an old post, but I experienced this same situation.

I deployed one project with Versamax CPUE05 last 2 years ago and been working fine until 3 weeks ago it had an issue about losing the program including the hardware configuration. I downloaded the program again, and made sure it was written on the Flash again. Also modified Settings > Logic/Configuration to FLASH from RAM. But then the issue re-occurred after 3 weeks.

Any suggestion in this regard?

Thanks.

Regards,
Jay