SIEMENS Simatic controller selection?

klikopc

Hi!

I have a small project which needs to be controlled with a SIEMENS controller(my employers demand SIEMENS)!

The controller needs to read 10 digital inputs and control 10 digital outputs. The PLC will control a simple press machine.

Could anyone suggest which controller would be best for this?

Thanks

Apart from the number of i/o, can you tell anything about the application ?
And maybe your employer have more specific demands than just "Siemens". Maybe they are standardised on S7-300, or S7-400, or S7-200, or S7-1200, or Profibus, or Profinet, or something else.

Either an S7-1200 or an IM151-8 (my favourite) could do the job.

There are no specifications for the standard(S7-200,S7-300...)!
The employer only demands that a SIEMENS PLC is used, doesn't matter what type, as it will only be used for this porpuse. It will not be integrated with any other PLC or system!

There will be no HMI and the digital inputs/outputs(10/10) should be 24VDC. The outputs will control 24VDC Relays.

The project is a simple press machine. The whole code will consist about 30 "IF" statements and will need about 5 timers/counters. Very simple code, for example:
IF sensor = 0 THEN
allow press to run
END_IF, and so on...

Thanks JesperMP! I will probably take the S7-1200.

Can you also tell me what i need for programming this PLC.
Any special cables? For programming i probably need STEP 7 Basic, right?
Is the software free?

klikopc

You will need STEP7 BASIC V11.
It is not free, but relatively low cost.
I am fairly sure that there are also starter packages with an S7-1200 PLC, and STEP7 BASIC V11, at a lower cost than buying them separately.
No special cables. It is programmed via ethernet.

There are no specifications for the standard(S7-200,S7-300...)!
The employer only demands that a SIEMENS PLC is used, doesn't matter what type, as it will only be used for this porpuse. It will not be integrated with any other PLC or system!

The reason for standardising on particular CPU's is not the integration into other parts of plant but what you hold in stores.

Most companies would prefer to limit the size of their stores building.

I have worked for companies that have specified the CPU's that they allow, preferring to perhaps have a CPU slightly over spec for what they need as its a model that is already on site and a spare is already in the stores.