FTP and VNC Server issues with PanelView Plus

TimD

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

I have a new PanelView Plus 6

It must be a Rockwell bug, but items in the \windows\startup folder DO NOT execute until the FactoryTalk Application is exited and you are on the CE desktop.

This means, every power cycle, My client needs to exit the HMI application and restart it from the desktop in order for VNC to work (I cannot find a server daemon for VNC CE...

Also, I have no clue how to set up FTP users and passwords and folder access. Rockwell lists FTP in their marketing, but no where I can find information regarding FTP... frustrating!

If anyone has any experience working with either VNC or FTP on a PV+6 and WindowsCE 6.0 kindly let me know. I'm eager for help!

Thanks,

Tim

The only documentation I've seen on configuring the FTP Server is in the Knowledgebase, Article ID 11650 (Access Level: Everyone). That shows an example of using Registry objects to configure basic Anonymous authentication. If you can dig up some resources on the syntax of using the Windows Registry to configure a user list (you'll see in the example that the userlist is null) you should be able to set up FTP.

I don't think there is a GUI-based user and password configuration for FTP on these units.

Are you trying to run VNC Server or VNC Client ? I know you can load the open-source .NET VNC Viewer onto the terminal and execute it from within FTView ME using the Application Launcher.

I agree that I thought the literature described a VNC Server pre-loaded onto the terminal and accessible via the desktop but I have not personally used it.

There's a selection for starting the terminal directly into FTView ME or starting it into Windows Explorer. I suspect that it's Windows Explorer that runs the \Startup folder, so if you're starting into FTView ME then you're going to have to execute programs using the Application Launcher, not \Startup.

Last edited:
Thanks, Ken!

I'll look up the Application Launcher (I assume it's the 'ugly' grey interface that you launch your ME HMI app from?)

I know now that I can start directly into the CE desktop and THEN launch FTME, thereby giving the startup items a chance to launch, I just hate having my client do this.

Yes, the FTP looks ugly, I found a little article here:
http://icstriplex.custhelp.com/app/...2LzEvdGltZS8xMzE2Mjc3NTQ3L3NpZC8qRVFiZWtFaw==

Still no word on user-based security. Ho Hum Rockwell, you serious?

The "ugly grey" interface is the Configuration Manager mode of FTView ME. I suppose it might have some other official name. That's where you delete and copy files, and set up the IP address, and configure the various data logging, startup, and communication features.

I was wrong on the name of what I was talking about: I meant the Program Launcher. It's a Windows CE ActiveX control you can embed in a FactoryTalk View ME that will launch an exernal *.EXE program.

The PV+ 6 terminals have just eight ActiveX controls that have been migrated to work with the new CE operating system. Program Launcher is one of them. Knowledgebase Article ID 117375 addresses these ActiveX controls and how to manage them on v5 and v6 terminals.