forcing bits on and off Logix 5000

showshocka

Gentlemen. I'm having trouble forcing a bit on in my logix5000 program. I see its not as easy as it is in the 500 program. When online the drop down menu will not highlight force commands to let me force any bits on. The input bit i need to force is coming from a PE that's causing a low level compensator alarm causing the line to stop, even when i have the PE reading my hand all the time. My histogram is still showing the it's losing it's signal. How do i do a simple force in the routine in the logix5000 program? Thanks!

When you right click on a input or output address, there is a Force On, Force Off, or Remove Force option. Just like in RSLogix 500.

You can only force Inputs/Ouputs. Pretty sure you can force tags which are aliased to Inputs/Outputs.

SINT, INT, or DINT? What do these mean?

These are data-types. They refer to the size of the word. SINT=8 bits, INT=16 bits, and DINT=32 bits

Not sure about why forcing isn't enabled for you, we don't have many 5000 proc's here. I've only had to add a rung here or there, never had occasion to need a force.

Once you set the force (tell the program what force state you want), then you have to enable forces.

2 step process.

You can only force a real I/O such as a push button, a solenoid or a valve, etc.
Furthermore you can force an alias -
as long as it's an alias of a real Input or Output tag
So, I'll bet you a box of donuts (like Ken Roach is used to say 🍻 )you're trying to Force a tag which isn't an I/O tag, and this isn't possible.
Double check the tag named I_3.11 and you will see it isn't a real I/O.

- fuzzy logic

Last edited:
Somewhere in the program the real input for that PE should be mapped to the tag you are looking at. A cross reference of the tag should lead you back to that input.

It might be leading somehow in logic to a photoeye, probably there in the "Map_Inputs" routine, but "I_3" is not the base tag for an input module.

The tag for the photoeye will have a base tag with a name something like "Local:5.I.Data[10]". That will be forceable.