SLC5/04 Messaging across ethernet

craigsimon

I am looking to message between two SLC5/04s. We have to plants about 2 miles apart each with a DH+ loop in the plant. On each of these loops we have a controllogix chassis with a ENET and a DHRIO card (no processor). I was wonder if there was a way to talk from a SLC5/04 on one DH+ loop to a SLC5/04 on the other DH+ loop. All the above hardware is already installed, so i would like to go this route instead of changing the 5/04s to 5/05s or adding other hardware.

What I was thinking was:

SLC 5/04 -> ControlLogix #1 DHRIO -> ControlLogix #1 ENET -> ControlLogix #2 ENET -> ControlLogix #2 DHRIO -> SLC 5/04

We have a ethernet run between the two plants. I have search ABs knowledge base and have not come up with an example.

Is this do-able?

Thanks

Why yes it is.

The layout you have proposed will work very well. The CNTLGX was originally designed for this type of application. The great thing is that the bridge will be transparent to you. If the ENet is working now like in a facility Lan setup then you should have no problems. If it has not been run the fiber and repeaters may be needed for the distance.

Good Luck

I am not sure

I know you can go from SLC5/04->DHRIO->ENET->SLC5/05 but I am not sure about SLC5/04 to SLC5/04.

In the MSG block there is:
Local Bridge Address - 1st DHRIO port
Remote Bridge Address - ??
Remote Station Address - Link ID of 1st ENET
Remote Bridge Link ID - Link ID of 2nd ENET

There is not a spot to put the Link ID of the 2nd DHRIO port or the Link ID of the 2nd SLC5/04.

If indeed it can be done, can you tell me how to fill out the MSG instruction addressing.

Thanks

Shouldnt the same be possible with two 1769-NET-ENI's ?

I know that there are limitations with the throuput of these devices, but it could save you a bundle.

edit: Oh I didnt notice that you allready have all the mentioned hardware. Never mind.

Last edited:
Have a look at this Knowbase document: G16725

You can send a message between two separate DH+ networks that are linked by Ethernet and ControlLogix backplanes.

A DH+ local message just needs a local target node address.

A DH+ remote message needs a local bridge address, a remote Bridge Link ID, and a remote target node address.

Although there is a field for "remote bridge address" in the MSG configuration, leave that at zero.

The Local Bridge Address is the DH+ address of the 1756-DHRIO channel on the DH+ where the originating controller resides.

The Remote Target Node address is the DH+ address of the target SLC, on it's own DH+ network.

The remote Bridge Link ID is what the DHRIO module uses to look up the path across the backplane, across the Ethernet, across the other backplane, and out the other DH+ port.

The configuration of the Link ID's in the Routing Table inside the both 1756-DHRIO modules is crucial. Take a look at that technotes and then post some of the details about your networks if you need more help.

Thanks Ken. I was hoping you would put in your two cents worth. I was unable to find that Knowledgebase document with my own searching.