PowerFlex 755 CIP Motion Overspeed

MichaelG

Hi all, I have come across a fun one, trying to do motion over Base Speed
I am looking for comments on the solutions that I have found so far
- wondering if anyone knows which method to use Or can give some pointers as to how to calculate motor data

RSlogix V19 ControlLogix L73 CPU
PF755 drive 30A connected servo_CIP_Drive (Motion over ethernet)
Induction Motor Name plate data
15 kW
rpm 1760
460 Volts
Amps 27
Hz 60
Motor bearings, Rotor etc are rated to run at 4400 rpm (special motor)

I have tuned the drive and have full motion control MAJ MAM etc are operating.

I want to run it in MAJ at 3600 rpm
In VSD mode this is easy - Motion it Trips at 120% 60 hz of synchronous speed (2160 rpm)

Two way that I have found to get it to work

1) Cheat on the Motor Nameplate - 120 Hz , 3520 RPM
Problems - What do I do with the motor amps? - how do I calculate a value that still protects the motor yet gives the power needed

2) Change the Overspeed threshold - In the Axis Parameters go to "Action" - then press the Parameters button
The MotorOverspeedUserLimit Default is 120% Change that to 220% (60 Hz * 220% = 3960 rpm
Problems The Servo Loop gains are now wrong when we are in the field weakening region (over 60 Hz) causing increasing position error and performance issues at top speed.

At this stage I am working on an uncoupled motor test bench system.

Note: this is replacing existing Unidrives with the UD70's onboard single axis controllers so I have to reuse the existing gearbox / motor combination

Last edited:
Did you come up with a good solution, I'm facing a similar situation, existing system that the customer would like to operate faster PF755, L61 V20, CIP motion.
When you change the overspeed threshold is the positioning error persistent when you return to "normal speeds"? If not I may be able to make my non-position critical moves at higher speed, and slow down when I need accurate position control.