Purge Panel Alarm Beacon

DaveW

I have a class 1 div 1 purged panel and want to add an alarm beacon. The class 1 div 1 beacons with conduit and seal are quite expensive. I was thinking of installing some like the below but don't know if it can still be consider a part of the purged panel. It has to be side mounted because of the panel's sloped top. Does anyone know if the panel still meets the class 1 div 1? The beacon is class 1 div 2 and cost about 1/4 the price.
ACFF7C.jpg

I'll go with no. There is no safety impact cage and I doubt the glass is thick enough to withstand impact on it's own.

My two cents, Class I Div 1 stuff is expensive because it makes a fire or explosion difficult. One person hurt due to improper products used isn't worth it, IMHO.

in a class 1 div 1 environment, the power to the enclosure must be killed if the power is lost NFPA 496 - "standard for purged and pressurized enclosures for electrical equipment", and NEC 70 - national electrical code.

Your beacon should tell what certifications it has and the environment ratings, but i will also say no. this appears to be a standard NEMA 4/12 device.
look at federal signal or edwards for class 1, div 1 beacons.

if you want a signal beacon to indicate purge loss, then depending on the type of purge unit you have, you may be able to pipe the beacon into your purge unit controls.

Not picking on you, but if you have no experience with class 1 environments and installations, then find your safety guy and engineering and get them involved. there are a lot of rules to adhere to.

regards,
james

Short answer no. If you mounted this INSIDE a purged panel then yes because the area inside a purged panel is considered a general purpose area once the purge cycle is complete and you do not have a pressure loss.

The ratings are for the area "around " the device. So the entire surface of the device must meet the area classification.

That said you could make the device meet the area classifaction. If you put in a IS (Intrinsicaly Safe)Rated light kit and used a IS Barrier to power the light and had a gas barrier between it and the IS barrier you could make the light rated for the area. Downside once you have bought all of those parts you might as well bought the more expensive model.

Also, if you attach the Class 1 Div 1 device in the method you talked about where your purge gas was not isolated you will lose your rating on the purged enclosure.