Powerflex 525 Purge setup

dowthebow

Hi All,
I have a couple powerflex 525 drives communicating through ethernet.
I want to set these up to take a switch over to purge.
I have set the purge settings, one input to purge, and a purge frequency.
When the drive is running, and I switch the purge input, the drive goes to the purge frequency.
When the drive is not running, the drive will not start when given the purge input.
Is it possible to switch the drive to purge when the drive is not running, and run it at the set purge frequency?

The manual says that it should run, UNLESS STOP IS Present

If a valid stop (other than from comms or SW
enable) is present, the drive will not start on the purge input transition

So check your stops

So check your stops

The only stop signal I have is from the Ethernet Comms, The terminal 1 has 24V present constantly with the link that comes pre-installation

So check your stops

The only stop signal I have is from the Ethernet Comms, The terminal 1 has 24V present constantly with the link that comes pre-installation

I suspect that you have the Stop tag always set to 1 even when the drive is already stopped.
This is how I handle controlling a Drive via Ethernet: (I got this from Ken Roach so he gets all the credit)
To start the drive
Set the Start Tag to 1 until the Drive Active tag is true. Then set the Start Tag to 0
To stop the drive
Set the Stop Tag to a 1 until the Drive Active tag is False. Then set the Stop Tag to 0

This keeps the Stop Tag from being set to a 1 even when the drive is stopped. Like mdim said if the Stop Tag is set to a 1 the drive will not start no matter what.

Also, if you have a start AND a stop signal active at the same time over ethernet, the drive will not start until both signals are removed, and then the start signal re-applied.

This is why it's a good idea to do as Bullzi says above, and only set your start tag for long enough to get the drive started. If you leave it on the whole time, then you run the risk that when you turn it off, the drive may see both start and stop active together for a short time. Likewise when you go to start, if your program keeps the stop input active all the time when the drive is not commanded to run, then once you give it the start command, it may not see the stop flag turn off before the start flag turns on, and once again, you're stuck until you turn both signals off and then just one of them back on.

I suspect that you have the Stop tag always set to 1 even when the drive is already stopped.
This is how I handle controlling a Drive via Ethernet: (I got this from Ken Roach so he gets all the credit)
To start the drive
Set the Start Tag to 1 until the Drive Active tag is true. Then set the Start Tag to 0
To stop the drive
Set the Stop Tag to a 1 until the Drive Active tag is False. Then set the Stop Tag to 0

This keeps the Stop Tag from being set to a 1 even when the drive is stopped. Like mdim said if the Stop Tag is set to a 1 the drive will not start no matter what.

That sounds like the issue alright, I'll try it and report back
Thanks

Also, if you have a start AND a stop signal active at the same time over ethernet, the drive will not start until both signals are removed, and then the start signal re-applied.

This is why it's a good idea to do as Bullzi says above, and only set your start tag for long enough to get the drive started. If you leave it on the whole time, then you run the risk that when you turn it off, the drive may see both start and stop active together for a short time. Likewise when you go to start, if your program keeps the stop input active all the time when the drive is not commanded to run, then once you give it the start command, it may not see the stop flag turn off before the start flag turns on, and once again, you're stuck until you turn both signals off and then just one of them back on.
Great, I'm gonna try this and I'll report back when done.
Sounds like the issues I'm having.