Motor Speed control and Controllogix

tomalbright

I am having a serious problem. I don't know if there's a quick fix for this, but I need to resolve an issue with a motor. I got a Governors America ESD5131 in an engine project, with the stipulation that it can be remote controlled. They provide a 4-20 ma to voltage converter, but since I have a (PLC Logix 5561) I thought I could use the voltage from the PLC to drive the remote.

Well, apparently the ESD5131 doesn't like the PLC. My range of speed is limited, and "jacked up" over what should be normal. I may have to get their module, but if there is an alternative I'd like to hear it.

After almost enough sleep, I returned to the motor and did two things - one, raise the PID output limit to 100% (old motor used 40%, standard old carb), two, check the actual output. This module had been used for 4-20ma, but not voltage. Guess what? Bad channel! It only went to two volts. I also had a brand new relay that had bad contacts in it too. Lucky day.

Anyhoo, it's working better, but I now have an idle that is a little too high, but we'll see what happens. They can work with this for now. The DC-DC converter wouldn't have helped me much, lol. Thanks.