CompactLogix Messaging?

AzCtrlEng

To Message data between two CompactLogix controllers, Do you setup a MSG instruction to do a CIP write in the Master and setup a MSG instruction to do a CIP read in the Slave? Or does using the MSG instruction to do a CIP write push the data directly into the destination tag on the Slave?

You can do either a CIP Write or CIP Read. I always use a read. That way you can always figure out where a tags' value is coming from. Unless documented very well, MSG writes can cause confusion as to where a value is coming from and how.

But you only need to do one or the other, either a Write or a Read. You do not need a write in one controller and a read in the other for the same data. Is my thinking correct?

I cannot believe that no one has posted use produced/consumed tags instead.
This would be what I would be looking at doing, unless you only want to msg at slow intervals..

I cannot believe that no one has posted use produced/consumed tags instead.
This would be what I would be looking at doing, unless you only want to msg at slow intervals..

Yes, that is one way to do it for sure. But for some reason that does not work over radio networks. I have no idea why.

Well that make it a different kettle of fish then..
Are they Ethernet Radios? I suspect there is too much latency in them to perform the throughput required for Produced/Consumed.

Maybe this should of been mentioned first...?:oops: