Looking for a used ControlLogix Processor for training

Rob S.

I am looking for a used Allen Bradley ControlLogix Processor for training. I found on Ebay and on PLCCenter.com a used AB 1756-L1 CPU for about $750 with a 1 year warranty. I cannot find much about a 1756- L1 on the AB website. Can you tell me a little bit about the 1756-L1 ? I would like to communicate with ethernet , so I may need to get a ethernet card also.

Thanks , and have a great day.

the little L1 can only be "flashed" up to version 13 - and that won't support Add-On Instructions ... and that price is way too high ...

you want at least a 1756-L55 processor ... this one can go up to version 16 - and will give you a lot more opportunities for learning ...

and keep in mind that the processor alone is useless for learning purposes - without a chassis, a power supply, and at least SOME type of I/O ... I wouldn't worry about the Ethernet right away if I were you ... you can do a LOT of learning using just a "serial connection" ...

and of course, you're going to need RSLogix5000 software too ... that is NOT cheap - and you probably aren't going to find a legal copy on eBay ...

below is a sample of the type of system you should be looking for - based on what you've posted so far ... note that you CAN buy each piece separately - but you can often get a better price by springing for a complete "system" as shown below ...

clx_ebay.jpg

Last edited:
The L1 processor is pretty much obsolete nowadays, and there's plenty about at very cheap prices.

You can't flash upgrade them past Vers 13, (current is 19), and you won't get the full functionality of a "current" model - the main feature an L1 won't support is AOIs (add-on nstructions).

However, if it's just for training, it's a start....

If we are talking just for training, why not a CompactLogix Instead. Much cheaper, but all the same base functionality. You can get an L23E with built in I/O and Ethernet port brand new for less than those old ControlLogix racks. Uses the same software. Same Instruction set.

Something also to bear in mind. In the past I have often purchased units on Ebay to train myself with. The part people forget, is if you take good care of it, and don't keep it too long, you can always just relist it after your done. On many occasions I have actually got back more than I paid in the first place. If you don't need it right away and can be patient, that is a good way to go.