PowerFlex 40 - 1 HP Drive

mikemedcalf

Hello Everyone,

I am doing a project for my company in which i need to spin a motor at different RPM at different intervals. This is all controlled by a ML1400 PLC. I am using outputs from the PLC to Digital Inputs of the VFD to change the speed.

I have a 6 pole motor (1200 RPM) that is said to be controllable down to 2 RPM. Right now i need to go to 5 RPM, 25/50/75/ and 100. At 5 RPM the motor does not put out alot of torque and i am afraid it wont spin the load. I have it right now set at Sensor-less Torque Perf Mode and I was told to try out V/HZ function instead but i have no idea how to set that up and the boost select and all that.

The model of Motor i have is:
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Motors/AC_Motors_-_General_Purpose_and_Inverter_Duty_%280.25_-_300HP%29/AC_Motors_-_Inverter_Duty,_Marathon_%280.25_-_100HP%29/Marathon_Black_Max_%280.25HP_to_30HP%29/Y537

And the Variable Frequency Drive:
22B-B5P0N104

PLC:
1766-L32BWA
Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,
Mike Medcalf

the following are my current parameters:
http://imageshack.us/f/194/parameters.jpg/

Last edited:
gearbox

I would use a gearbox to increase the speed on the motor and reduce it to the load. Generally you shouldn't run a motor less then 10 Hz.

You won't have torque problems either.

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies, i kind of wanted the gear box to be last resort but if i have to, i have to.

Also, i have it all working and in right sequence just the torque is iffy

Last edited:
that company does not have any in-line gear boxes, only 90 degree ones and i already have a bracket designed and machined, any ideas on getting the V/Hz function working?

I've been told by other drive manufacturers, that with sensorless vector mode (Prm 125) you can get down to 0.5Hz, which would be 10 RPM. Much less and you may have trouble. V/Hz mode will have less torque at low speeds.

Also note, that if you are running for very long, at such slow speeds, your motor fan is doing essentially nothing. You really should a motor with an externally powered fan. When running at low speed Sensorless Vector I was always told to do an Auto-tune (Prm 127 Preferably rotate tune )

edit: Went back and looked at the motor, it may do it, but I would certainly talk to Automation Direct before running very long at that speed.

Last edited:
Ok, thank you.
I found the gearhead i needed and it is $700, i have two applications, one that needs full torque and the other that only requires 1/5th, i think i am going to just buy one and use for the higher torque application and hope the other one works ok.

It doesnt take much to spin the shaft so hopefully i am good