PLC beginner needs little help please.

zer0net

Hello everyone,
I'm really interested in playing with PLCs, i'm thinking of picking up a TECO GENIE II SG2, its relatively inexpensive. As for the power supply, instead of buying the TECO power supply, can I just use my laptop power adapter or a simple plugin 110VAC to 24VDC converter (like router power supply, only that is 12V) and use it with a DC Female Converter from ebay (the one in the picture)?

In the installation instructions it also recommends that you use a surge absorber, can you recommend any please (i've never seen oneo_O).

I'm also open to other micro-controllers or other low cost PLC/PLR/PLD/PIC

Eventually what I would like to do with the controllers that i will get is to build a simple door opener, similar to the ones at the mall.

Thank you for the help

dcfemale.jpg

"n the installation instructions it also recommends that you use a surge absorber, can you recommend any please (i've never seen oneo_O)."

If it's just for playing then theres no point.

zer0net said:
Hello everyone,
I'm really interested in playing with PLCs, i'm thinking of picking up a TECO GENIE II SG2, its relatively inexpensive.

http://factorymation.info/plr/SG2V3_UserManual.pdf
(I didn't open the manual past page two...too much pretty picture for my cell booster)*

But if it is what I know as a programmable relay, it is quite limited.

zer0net said:
As for the power supply, instead of buying the TECO power supply, can I just use my laptop power adapter or a simple plugin 110VAC to 24VDC converter (like router power supply, only that is 12V) and use it with a DC Female Converter from ebay (the one in the picture)?
Probably, but you should compare wattage, and peak inrush to be sure. Based on appearance I would expect peak watt draw to be low, but I have been surprised before, so I always read the fine manual.

zer0net said:
In the installation instructions it also recommends that you use a surge absorber, can you recommend any please (i've never seen oneo_O).

Eventually what I would like to do with the controllers that i will get is to build a simple door opener, similar to the ones at the mall.

Thank you for the help

I would recommend looking at the Click PLC from Automation direct. A friend here on the forum gave me one, and I find it quite awesome compared to the Micrologix1000.

Most programmable relays like the one in your link are not nearly as capable and only slight cheaper than comparable PLCs:

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...Series_PLCs_(Stackable_Micro_Brick)/PLC_Units

Last edited:
never used teco. but take a look at the click from automation direct it is a great little plc

thanx guys,
Click documentation is soo much better than the TECO.

also as for learning PLCs, do you guys have any tips for the beginner?

thanx

Based on some of your statements, you probably should try to get a basic understanding if electrical circuits first.

Once you have the grasp on that, then learn what you are trying to control and understand that also. After all, if you don't know what you are trying to control, how can you by 'playing with a PLC'?? Chances are, something or someone could get hurt.. Something to think about first.

Based on some of your statements, you probably should try to get a basic understanding if electrical circuits first.

Once you have the grasp on that, then learn what you are trying to control and understand that also. After all, if you don't know what you are trying to control, how can you by 'playing with a PLC'?? Chances are, something or someone could get hurt.. Something to think about first.

Thank you for reply lostcontrol.
I agree with what you are saying, learning PLCs programming and playing around with that is not too big of a deal however wiring the PLCs the proper way is (and dangerous if you dont know what you are doing). Which is unfortunately my weak point.
I do have basic knowledge of circuits, I have picked up few books to help me learn more: "Introduction to Electrical circuits", "Understandable Electrical Circuits", and "Introduction to Circuit Analysis and Design".

I have also picked up some solderless protoboards, LEDs, and other basic components to build circuits and play.

I'm also open to any other suggestions.

Play? People like you scare me to death, and I hope you are doing this at home and not at a plant where innocent people work that have no idea of your Playing with a PLC, JEEEEZUS, much less you no knowledge of what you are doing.

I'm really interested in playing with PLCs
PLCs are no toys. PLCs are attached to machines that sometimes (mostly) can kill people if used in the wrong way, e.g. by programming in the wrong way. Programming PLCs is no game, it is a serious business with a lot of responsibility.

You'll have to make a choice. The fields in which PLCs are used are entirely different from the fields where micro-controllers and PICs come in to the picture.

This is a typical application for PICs or other micro-controllers if there is even one involved. I have made different of these things without even the need for more than a few simple logic gates and some analogue interfacing (for the sensor circuit). Using a PLC for this is throwing away money. You can better use that money for helping the poor and homeless, certainly this time of the year.

Thank you for the help
No thanks, that's what we're here for, even if we might sound rude some times. The rudeness is not intentional, believe me.

Regards,

"PLCs are no toys. PLCs are attached to machines that sometimes (mostly) can kill people if used in the wrong way, e.g. by programming in the wrong way. Programming PLCs is no game, it is a serious business with a lot of responsibility."

But when they are not connected to Dangerous machines then they can be toys.
I am not a programmer, I have been on several siemens courses (S5).
But using the limited knowledge I gained from these courses I work on programs existing in many differant sorts of PLC.
But I have done more learning using standalone plc,s or even software emulators like Logixpro.
Some times people need to understand some of us have fun learning and trying stuff out, so I have "a play" at times. But we have enough sense to do this on machines not connected to the bad real world..

../so I have "a play" at times.
Kirso, for your benfit, and for the safety of all the people who will be exposed to your future PLC programs, please adjust your thinking. If you think of it as "play", you may sometime in the future forget that it is not play. Think of it instead as learning or training.

It is similar to learning to use a firearm. You learn about it and target practice with it, but you never play with it because it is too dangerous.

Play is what you do with computer games, and do not ever think of using any PLC program for play. It creates the wrong mind set, the wrong impression for your boss, and the wrong impression here about how serious you are in this field.

Last edited:
Lancie1
If you notice I put "a play" in inverted commas.
I understand the consequences of my actions writing or adjusting PLC programs. I find it extreemly offensive that some one can call
my work ethic or ability to do my job because of a simple phrase put on here.
I enjoy learning and the main thing here is "enjoy"
So if I am enjoying something then I feel I have a right to phrase it as "play".
It is a common phrase in the uk if you have a piece of kit that no one is fully conversant with. That you "have a play" with it, to work it out.
As for giving my boss or any one else the wrong impression My track record speeks for itself after 30yrs as an electrician.
So in reply I would say lighten up, get out of your "emperors new clothes " syndrome, and understand some people do "play".

Last edited:
I find it extreemly offensive that some one can call
my work ethic or ability to do my job because of a simple phrase put on here.
Yes, I would too. If I were you, I would ban "playing with PLCs" from my vocabulary, just so that it will be understood that I am actually trying to learn something and not just have fun.
play, n 1. a dramatic composition, 2. exercise or action by way of amusement or recreation, 3. fun, jest, or trifling, as opposed to earnest, 4. an act of playing, ....
The English Oxford dictionary goes on with 63 more definitions of play.

None of the 67 definitions of play have anything to do with serious work, or learning, or studying. Surely the word is misused...but now you don't have to be one of those in the dark.

Many of the definitions of play have shadings that you definitely would not want associated with your PLC programs. Meanings such as (foul play, played out, play fast and loose, play for time, play it by ear, play up to, play with fire, play both ends against the middle, play house, make a play for) will probably not enhance your 30-year track record. Maybe they will overlook it and play fair.

Last edited: