I'm having trouble connecting to 5/05 through Ethernet port

M_Fehervari

I can connect through the serial though...

I got the IP address for the processor ( 100.100.100.1 ), but I still can't get connected... I'm using the Ethernet driver ( AB_ETH_1 )

I've tried with a straight cable through a hub, and a crossover alone... I keep getting the question mark image ( "Not PLC,SLC" error )

Does RsLinx Lite support ethernet ? Am I using the right driver?

RSLinx Lite supports Ethernet.

Can you ping the SLC from your PC ?
Can you ping the SLC from another PC ?
Can you ping your PC from another PC ?
That should get you closer to where the error lies.

Did you also assign an IP address for the computer when you configured the Ethernet driver ( AB_ETH_1 ) ? I forgot to do this one time.

Example:100.100.100.5

How do you assign the computers IP address?

I'm using a laptop, and it doesn't have a preset IP address, it's assigned by a DHCP ( or something like that ) server...

That sounds like your problem. You'll have to go to your control panel, network properties, find your TCP/IP protocol, choose properties here, and then specify your IP address and subnet mask.

Good luck,

Marc

PS: If you are using a later generation Windows, you'll need to be an administrator on the laptop to do this.

It's Windows NT...

Ok, so I need to set the IP of the comp manually?

I'll try that tonight...

Thanks for all the replies.

The subnet mask is also important. It determines which set of IP addresses your computer can "see" locally.

255.255.255.0 means that the first three numbers of your IP must match the first three numbers of the PLC's IP.

DHCP IP addresses

I'm using Windows98 SE >Network>configuration>IP Address. I checked the automatically obtain IP address box .
In RSLinx > Communications > Configure Drivers AB_ETH-1 > Configure.
In Host Name Box, I put the name of this computer, for example: Number1 . Then Shut down and re-boot computer. Windows NT is somewhat different than this but maybe this will help get you started.

For cabling, use a crossover cable if want to connect direct and you don't want to use a hub. With a hub a straight cable will work, depending on the hub, newer types determine cable type automatically.