PLC 5 Backup with comments

shepjess

When I backup my program on my PLC 5 it doesn't save the comments/notes. I was wondering if someone could tell me the steps I need to go through to ensure that the comments are saved as well?

I usually go to comms, who active. Double click on the processor and create new file. Let it upload then go offline and save as.

When I backup my program on my PLC 5 it doesn't save the comments/notes. I was wondering if someone could tell me the steps I need to go through to ensure that the comments are saved as well?

I usually go to comms, who active. Double click on the processor and create new file. Let it upload then go offline and save as.

Create New File is the problem. All comments and symbols are stored in the RSP file, not in the PLC. Creating a new RSP file means that you just want the raw data and logic from the PLC without comments.

Try instead, choosing the button labeled "upload / use file" or something like that. Then you can browse to the file already holding your comments, and it will merge all the live data table values and program logic with the existing comments/symbols/file labels.

Ok, but if i click the button labeled "upload / use file" and choose a file, won't i loose any program changes that were made between that file and the file currently running?

Hopefully when you did the create new and then offline save as you didn't overwrite the existing file which had comments with the uploaded file which didn't have comments.

If you did do that then unless you have a backup of the original file you are
screwed1.jpg

lol, no i use a different name (date code) in the new file i create. so i have all of the old originals.
So should i pick one of those and then go offline, and then do save as? I was just worried if i pick one of those old files that i would loose any program modification that someone may had added between the old file and the one currently running.

lol, no i use a different name (date code) in the new file i create. so i have all of the old originals.
So should i pick one of those and then go offline, and then do save as? I was just worried if i pick one of those old files that i would loose any program modification that someone may had added between the old file and the one currently running.

There are some gotchas.

If you have a file open, and it is a match* for the program in the PLC, then you can go online and it will happen immediately.

If you have a file open that doesn't match, the dialog will show what is in the current path that is a close match. You pick from the list, or browse to a better one and then go online.

*matching the offline file to the online file is a little different with the PLC-5 and the SLC/Micros.

Hunting for a good thread on this...

yeah, i have been trying to find a thread on this as well... or if there is an easier way to backup the program running (with its comments) i would gladly take suggestions. Thanks!

Two relatively easy ways:

1) Go online, upload use file (as we have been discussing). This will get you online with the comments from the offline file, and the logic and data that is actually in the PLC. You won't lose anything. This copy can be saved with a new filename and it will be a good match and contain comments. If you save this file with the same name as an existing file, then of course you will lose what was in that file. Bottom line, you end up with the right logic, data and comments.

2) Open up your favorite version of the file with comments. Go to Tools, Database, ASCII Export. This brings up a dialog box that lets you pick what to export and how. The default is a native export with everything checked. Next, go online (Create New File). While online, go to Tools, Database ASCII Import. You will then have to chose the files you created earlier one at a time as RSLogix imports them. When finished it will report any conflicts. Don't forget to save the program after the import. Later, you can explore that Database export tool again and check out the csv tab. This lets you export address comments and symbols and file labels to a csv file which can be easily and powerfully edited in your favorite spreadsheet program, and then imported. It's a good way to mass edit, autofill, spell check, and more.

Last edited:
matching the offline file to the online file is a little different with the PLC-5 and the SLC/Micros.

Hunting for a good thread on this...

For a PLC5/SLC500

"Program Checksum

Every time an edit is made to your program this read-only field changes.
Use this field to compare the program files of two processor memory files to make sure that they are the same.
You can also use it to make sure no changes have been made to the program files in a processor memory file."

See pictures below

PLCchecksum.png slcchecksum.png

Thanks Mickey! Now I think I remember the difference. RSLogix500 doesn't use the last edit time stamp just the processor name and checksum, but RSLogix5 can optionally use the last edit timestamp as well.