Controlnet Node Numbering

raul_vaze

Dear All ,

Is there any thumbrule for controlnet node numbering for redudant system .

I have around 12 Flex Drops being controlled by 4 CLX station with each station having 3 Remote drops . Out of 4 CLX station 2 are Redundant stations . All these are on one Controlnet .

So how shall i go ahead with numbering ??

Shall i have 12 Flex node first and then 4 CLX station

Shall i go with 1 CLX station and its Flex nodes .

------------------

Also for redundant system will it be flex nodes first then the redundant CN2R nodes.

Thanks in advance

Download and Read the ControlLogix Enhanced Redundancy System manual -
Preliminary Publication 1756-UM535B-EN-P - December 2010
Available on the Rockwell Literature Library website.

There are rules for the ControlNet Node Address of Redundant controller bridges and Adapter devices that are described in the Redundancy User Manual.

They are not "rules of thumb" but rather principles of operation. They are not optional.

If I was going to set up this system on a single ControlNet segment, I would configure it as follows:

1 FLEX Adapter
2 FLEX Adapter
3 FLEX Adapter
8 CN2R
9 CN2R

11 FLEX Adapter
12 FLEX Adapter
13 FLEX Adapter
18 CN2R
19 CN2R

21 FLEX Adapter
22 FLEX Adapter
23 FLEX Adapter
28 CN2R
29 CN2R

Why are you putting three controllers on a single segment ? My instinct would be to place them on separate ControlNet segments, then exchange data begtween controllers using Ethernet, or using another ControlNet segment. This would avoid having to place all three controllers in PROGRAM mode if you need to maintain or modify a ControlNet segment.

There are rules for the ControlNet Node Address of Redundant controller bridges and Adapter devices that are described in the Redundancy User Manual.

They are not "rules of thumb" but rather principles of operation. They are not optional.

If I was going to set up this system on a single ControlNet segment, I would configure it as follows:

1 FLEX Adapter
2 FLEX Adapter
3 FLEX Adapter
8 CN2R
9 CN2R

11 FLEX Adapter
12 FLEX Adapter
13 FLEX Adapter
18 CN2R
19 CN2R

21 FLEX Adapter
22 FLEX Adapter
23 FLEX Adapter
28 CN2R
29 CN2R

Why are you putting three controllers on a single segment ? My instinct would be to place them on separate ControlNet segments, then exchange data begtween controllers using Ethernet, or using another ControlNet segment. This would avoid having to place all three controllers in PROGRAM mode if you need to maintain or modify a ControlNet segment.

Actually there is a existing system where everything is on controlnet and the Flex Adapter are controlled by PLC-5 controller on controlnet.
We are replacing the PLC-5 controller with redundant Control logix stations and since there is a controlnet cable existing we are not modifying it.
Also after 3 flex nodes u have kept 5 spare nodes and then two CN2R node , will this not increase the response ...can i keep it a bit nearer i.e instead of 8,9 can i keep it 6,7 as there shall be no increase in the flex adapters.

I chose to group the ControlNet nodes so that they would be immediately identifiable as groups, even to someone unfamiliar with the system.

The extra ControlNet polling time to skip a handful of nodes is important when you have a heavy HMI traffic load, which you did not mention in your description.

You can certainly make all the ControlNet nodes sequential, with no gaps, if you wish. The usual requirement of ControlLogix Redundancy applies, in which the two 1756-CN2R modules of the Redundant Pair cannot be the lowest node numbers on the network.

Is this system a Solar Turbines control system ? Many of those used "Phase 1.25" ControlNet hardware and extra care must be taken when attempting to upgrade.

I chose to group the ControlNet nodes so that they would be immediately identifiable as groups, even to someone unfamiliar with the system.

The extra ControlNet polling time to skip a handful of nodes is important when you have a heavy HMI traffic load, which you did not mention in your description.

You can certainly make all the ControlNet nodes sequential, with no gaps, if you wish. The usual requirement of ControlLogix Redundancy applies, in which the two 1756-CN2R modules of the Redundant Pair cannot be the lowest node numbers on the network.

Is this system a Solar Turbines control system ? Many of those used "Phase 1.25" ControlNet hardware and extra care must be taken when attempting to upgrade.

Thanks Ken for the reply and sorry i didnt mention about the HMI , Actually there are around 7 nos of PV1000e on controlnet in addition to the above mentioned node's .
I also read in User manual of redundancy that max of 4 PV1000e can have unscheduled connection to a redundant system , If this is true how can i connect my 7 HMI as each HMI will display some data from each redundant controller..