Cheap USB to DeviceNet/ControlNet

tlf30

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anyone know of a cheap USB to ControlNet or USB to DeviceNet adapter (I'm looking for both).
I thought PLC Cable would have one but I did not see anything.

Thanks,
Trevor

LOL, no. I want something for at home on me bench. If it was for work I would just have the company buy it, but I want something that is for home within my home budget.

I thought PLC Cable would have one but I did not see anything

Thanks for checking Trevor, there's not a big enough market for them to build an aftermarket version

I would try ebay but even there the prices are staying really high but you may find a deal

I am not an expert in ControlNet or DeviceNet, so maybe a dumb question.
Assuming this is for ControlLogix. Doesn't the current CPUs all have an ethernet port ? Why not use the CPU as a gateway to the ControlNet or DeviceNet networks ?

Just depends on the setup, if they are using a 1756-CNB or 1756-DNB and have either Devicenet or Controlnet at the network then they may have an older CPU that they would also need a ENBT or EN2T, they may also want to access others on the two Networks that dont have Ethernet, I would think that all new systems are going Ethernet

There are a lot of older systems out there running that need servicing

For these very old systems without Ethernet. Can you browse through the serial port to Devicenet or controlnet ?

I dont know but guessing.... I would say no, AB would much rather sell you a very over priced USB cable ;)

AB used to sell a serial to DeviceNet adapter, 1770-KFD. But they are still not cheap.
A lot cheaper than a 1784-U2DN, even once you throw in a usb adapter.

To quote Ken Roach back in 2014:
The answer to your actual question: "what's the cheapest way to get my PC connected to DeviceNet" is "a used 1770-KFD and a USB/RS232 converter".
As far as I know this has not changed.

Thanks, I'll take look at the 1770-KFD.
I'm just working on my test bench at home, and while I can plug directly into the serial port on my L62, I want to be able to use it to connect to other things and still go online with the controller. I have both DeviceNet and ControlNet networks on the main rack though. My Ethernet card is currently being used in another project, so I don't have a way to go online.

Thanks, I'll take look at the 1770-KFD.
I'm just working on my test bench at home, and while I can plug directly into the serial port on my L62, I want to be able to use it to connect to other things and still go online with the controller. I have both DeviceNet and ControlNet networks on the main rack though. My Ethernet card is currently being used in another project, so I don't have a way to go online.

if you have space in your rack they pretty much give away used 1756-enbt on ebay.

If it’s just for home you may be better served to get on eBay and find the old PCMCIA card versions and an old laptop off eBay with a real PCMCIA port or you can get a PCMCIA port replicator but they don’t all work well with those old AB cards so you have to be careful with that which is why the older laptop with a real PCMCIA port may be a better solution.

You can browse through the serial port on the CPU and access the devices on ControlNet and DeviceNet. It is slow, but it works. For ControlNet it isn't a big issue, but for DeviceNet the speed through the serial port is definitely a noticeable drawback.

OG

You can browse through the serial port on the CPU and access the devices on ControlNet and DeviceNet. It is slow, but it works. For ControlNet it isn't a big issue, but for DeviceNet the speed through the serial port is definitely a noticeable drawback.
Probably the same speed as you would get with the 1770-KFD. And then you can go online to both Controlnet and Devicenet with no further complexity or investment.

if you have space in your rack they pretty much give away used 1756-enbt on ebay.
I know what I would do ;)