Cheap USB to DeviceNet/ControlNet

Probably the same speed as you would get with the 1770-KFD. And then you can go online to both Controlnet and Devicenet with no further complexity or investment

In my experience, the KFD was significantly faster than going through a controller serial port. The KFD was actually a node connected directly to the DeviceNet network so it had some priority to it. But you are spot on in that using the controller serial port requires no additional investment and it works for both network types. But if I were using DeviceNet regularly and I could get my hands on an inexpensive KFD, I would opt for that.

With ControlNet we aren't typically uploading and downloading parameters for every network device so using the controller serial port isn't as big a deal as it is with DeviceNet.

I guess one thing that I haven't seen mentioned (maybe I missed it) is that the newer style Ethernet, ControlNet, and DeviceNet Bridge modules now have a USB port on them. You could connect to that USB port and gain access without needing any special interfaces or cables.

For ControlNet that would require a 1756-CN2 or 1756-CN2R. The older 1756-CNB had a Network Access Port that required an expensive communication card for your PC or laptop. The NAP unfortunately had a connector that looked like an ethernet connection and many modules were damaged when people plugged an ethernet cable into that connector. I have been to many sites were they had taped over that port to prevent this possibility.

To get USB on your DeviceNet bridge module you need a 1756-DNB series C or newer.

The 1756-EN2T introduced the USB port to the EtherNet modules. So the EN3T and EN4T also have this port. Likewise the ControlLogix L70 series controllers and the CompactLogix 5370 series added USB ports instead of serial ports. You could plug in to any of these as well. But obviously not an option for your L62 controller.

OG

If its just for home use or to play around, I once used a 1761-NET-ENI (ethernet to RS232 adapter), a SLC 5/03 (no ethernet), and a 1747-SDN Devicenet Scanner. All heavily used, salvage stuff that I had very little $$ in.

I used this setup strictly to test several dozen small panels I was building that had Devicenet I/O in them.