Frequency Generation

Kalagaraz

So I have a bit of an impractical design idea, but I'm not sure if it is feasible.

At work, we have stacklights that signal operators when there is an alarm, when its ok to enter cell, etc... These stacklights have a buzzer on them, which simply buzz when the output is on.

Now it's christmas, and I just glanced at one yesterday and wondered if I could make one play christmas music.

My idea to achive this is to toggle the output at frequencies corresponding to musical notes with a 50% duty cycle, giving a square wave sound (hopefully).

For example, to produce a C note, I would toggle it 263Hz.

The question remains, are Logix5000 controllers capable of switching outputs that fast? Or possibly are there built in functions for generating such frequencies?

I think you'll have to try it, but I doubt you will get the expected tone even if the Logix DC solid state output is fast enough. I think you will get some function of the native frequency of the buzzer combined with your pulses...but it would be fun...I would try it just for fun...I bet you can make some pretty sick sounding jingle bells...

A speed controlled servo motor driving a belt via teeth will give you a musical tone. Use the plc to generate the timing and speed demand. A lookup table with speeds incrementing using the twelfth root of two will give a realistic tune.

A speed controlled servo motor driving a belt via teeth will give you a musical tone. Use the plc to generate the timing and speed demand. A lookup table with speeds incrementing using the twelfth root of two will give a realistic tune.

Now that is a GREAT idea, definitely thinking out of the box on that one mate. Seems like you got the Christmas spirit well under way.
LOL

A speed controlled servo motor driving a belt via teeth will give you a musical tone. Use the plc to generate the timing and speed demand.
o_OHmm.... There may be a lot of motors and belts myteriously worn out by Dec 25th. :D

Merry Christmas to one and all !! :p

Last edited:
Reminds me of the time when computers had mag core memories. They'd sit and chat & sing to themselves in a vocoder-style voice. It really sounded like they were working.

One thing that may help you get the tones you want is to look at ring tones. I have made a Red Lion G3 HMI play several songs. The language is RTTL but ou can see the tones and the rates and use this for a basis for some music. Just d a google search on Ring Tones and you will find what I am talking about.