factorytalk activation

ddeshi2

Hi all, I have rslogix5000 installed on my laptop(temporary activation for 2 weeks until rockwell ship the software to me) and it expires on 16th of this month. I got the software today and tried to install it on the same laptop. I installed the software successfully but when I tried to activate it using Factory Talk activation I get an error : "Unable to connect to remote server". I have tried several times and get the same message again and again. At first I thought it must be because of a slow internet connection and reset the router and my internet connection was fast. Is it something on my laptop or is it on Rockwell's side?? Please help.

Thank you,

Ding

The only thing we can be certain of is that your laptop was "Unable to connect to remote server".

This, of course, could be one of many reasons.

a> Corporate Laptop ? - has your IT department got blocks in place to prevent visiting certain sites ?
b> is it a firewall blocking ports ? try turning off the firewall when activating...
c> was the RA Activation server available at that time ? try again...

If all else fails you can activate by telephoning support.

They will email you the activation license file to put on the laptop.

@ all

Thank you for your help. On Monday I was getting the error message but yesterday when I tried again I was able to activate my RSLOGIX 5000 and FTvIEW ME . I think the RA activation server was down Monday. My RSLOGIX 5000 v 19.01.01 is working fine but my FTview Machine Edition 6.10.00 crashes whenever I try to open it. I have installed both the softwares on my laptop ( Windows 7 32 bit). Whenever I try to open the FTview studio I get an error message(from Microsoft): Appcrash VStudio.exe. I'm thinking of calling the Tech support today but any help from you guys is also greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Ding

I'm running FactoryTalk View 6.00.00 on a Windows 7 32-bit (and 64-bit) without problem. I checked on the 32-bit and I don't have any of the compatibility options checked. You are using Win7 Professional (or Ultimate)?

@Timebert

I'm using Windows 7 professional and it is a tablet (not a laptop). Today, before calling the tech support I searched the Knowledge base and I found the solution for it. All I had to was go to Start--->Control Panel---> Programs and Features---> Turn Windows Features ON or OFF---> uncheck Tablet PC Components (if it's checked). I'm able to open FTView studio now without any problem. Search for " appcrash vstudio.exe" in the Rockwell knowledge base if you want to know more. Thanks everyone for all the help!

--Ding.

Evidently you're not the first person to attempt to use FTView Studio on a tablet PC (or the Knowledgebase document wouldn't have been there) but I'm surprised at the choice. FTView is notoriously resource-intensive and most tablets are notoriously resource-limited.

Can you share which model of tablet you've been able to get this running on ?