PanelViewComponent Battery Backup

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a PanelView Component 2711C-K3M Connected to a Micrologix1400.
If I shut down power to the machine, the Micrologix goes dead, my 24V power supply goes dead, and the PV goes dead. Great that's what I want.

When Power is resumed, There is a pretty long delay.
The PLC boots up pretty quickly, but it takes about a minute and a half for the PanelView to boot up.

However when I have the USB connected between the PV and my laptop, the PV doesn't die, the backlight just goes out.

With the laptop connected and power restored, I get a couple of Error screens, but I can click thru those in about 5 seconds.

I know that the 600 and 1000 have a battery backup.
I wonder why it wasn't an option on the 2711C-K3M.
Has anybody seen a safe reliable battery that can be plugged into a mini USB port?

Can you consider switching HMIs?

I have a Red Lion G304K, G306A, and two G310s.

They all boot and connect to their respective PLCs in 7 seconds or less. No batteries required. This alone will pay for them, not to mention the expanded capabilities they provide with the free Crimson 3 software.

We have to live with some PV600+s on OEM equipment. We also must lock them out for 30 seconds at a time, five to twenty times a day.

The OEM solution for those to keep from waiting on them to boot after every minor adjustment:

http://eshop.phoenixcontact.com/pho...289?UID=591736971&parentUID=&reloadFrame=true

EDIT: Can't get the link to work as expected...just put 2866226 in the search bar at the Phoenix site.

It just replaced the 120vac to 24vdc supply that was already in the panel. They make them for a variety of input power sources...

They hold up a PV600+ for several minutes...but when the PLC goes dead, and then returns, it can still take a while still for the PV600+ to reconnect and get fresh data.

Last edited: