Reccomened a UPS and cabinet for SLC System

jC.

Hey everyone,

I have a SLC 500 System: L542, NI4, A7, OB16, IB16, P2. I need a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) for it, does anyone have any reccomendations (I have no idea) Also, I need a cabinet aswell, once again, any ideas?.

Cheers,

jC.

Contact Eaton - Powerware - Melbourne

You need to know what power requirement you have in KVA or VA
and how long you want the UPS to function for
= let their enginers talk to you.

One thing that I have found when looking for UPS systems (and it may not apply to you), but you need to consider the enclosure you are using for the SLC. If you have a sealed enclosure (ie NEMA 4), most UPS manufacturers will not allow the battery portion to be inside the enclosure due to the gasses produced over time. Sola Hevi-Duty makes one where the head unit is inside the enclosure but the battery is mounted outside in its own NEMA 1 box.

Do you just need the UPS to keep the PLC powered up in case of an outage? If so, why? What will it be controlling? There is no harm in cycling power to the processor (these aren't the same as windows computer).

If you truly need a UPS, you will probably need one big enough to keep the entire control system functioning. This will mandate a much bigger unit that what you really anticipate.

I did this a few years back and it has saved the company thousands of dollars, each load was cost about 20k and they lost about one per month.

It was on a large press, the press was running cycles that took about 2.5 hrs, if the cycle was broken then the press would open and the load was lost

The UPS was a easy fix, it keep the cycle running and nothing was lost (heat, vacuum, temp), I also had to tie the HMI into the UPS

The UPS would last for about 5 min before it died but this was more then enough time... they would lose power when lighting would strike close for about 10 sec and this would be enough to spoil the day

I left the e-stop in the loop, this way I did not change the design on the machine

See mine here http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=43235