DIN Mount UPS

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I've got a new and different project and I need a DIN mount UPS with 120V output.
SOLA comes to mind but are there any other options you folks have had good luck with?
I like the Weidmuller stuff ( 1370050010) for DC so a similar form factor would be ideal.
Extra points if it uses LiFePO batteries, but those are few and far between.

PULS had one at one time I REALLY liked but can't find now where a single 12V battery could be used to produce 24VDC output. Doesn't help here but was really useful a time or two.
Didn't know about Phoenix

You need 120V DC or AC output?
I think we have some old 120V DC DIN mounted UPS systems floating around, they use a small 12V lead acid battery with a switching power supply to step up to 120V DC.

I need 120V AC output.

I have lost complete faith in APC since Schneider bought them. every APC UPS I bought for desktop has failed prematurely. Over a dozen before I stopped buying them.
But we still use their Rack mounted stuff in the server room along side Eaton... so maybe worth a try.

We were required by a bid spec to supply DIN rail mount AC UPS for a job with about 8 panels and at that time, I only found two: Sola SDU series and I think the other brand was Tripplite.

The Sola is what we went with and they are pretty terrible performance wise. I am only running a small panel with a ML1400 and a serial radio and lucky to get 30 minutes run time out of them when power drops out. That was brand new, fully charged bench testing and I was disappointed, but it's what the engineer required. :confused:

For work where we aren't dictated by a spec, we love the RHINO PSH-BCM360S

I started out with a similar Puls unit, but found that it's aux. contact for "Battery OK" was not consistent. The RHINO works great, its relays do what they claim and has a built in fuse. One job where it was running a ML1400, serial radio and 4" HMI (Red Lion Kadet), I was doing a repair and forgot to turn the breaker back on and it ran that box for 6 days on a single 110AH 12V Continental battery!

Last edited:
Alas I need 120Vac output. The Rhino is DC. I'm finding so much more for DC than AC outputs.

And I thought PULS would be a great unit... That's a great relay to have inconsistent :eek:

Sola is in the running as well as the Phoenix... and APC maybe... still got a bad feeling about that company.

Alas I need 120Vac output. The Rhino is DC. I'm finding so much more for DC than AC outputs.

And I thought PULS would be a great unit... That's a great relay to have inconsistent :eek:

Sola is in the running as well as the Phoenix... and APC maybe... still got a bad feeling about that company.

The Puls was fine for managing the battery and backup, it was only their battery status relay that didn't seem to report correctly. I had a guy tell me "You can't trust that relay, we shouldn't even hook it up." I did and it worked. Then the next two panels, it seemed to be the opposite state, then the 4th panel it changed states several times over the course of a day with brand new batteries. So he got to tell me "I told you so."

They're taller too and don't have the built in fuse, and cost around $60 more.

I have had a couple jobs where it makes sense to back up the AC like when there are existing solenoids or an old PLC that has AC power. In those cases I have just used an off the shelf APC and try to mount it nicely as possible and include a pigtail so the operators can swap it out without butchering the new one when it fails every 6 months.

The last time we replaced one of the SOLA SDU models, the part numbering had changed, so maybe they are improved now.

When I have a choice, I make everything DC though.

Thats the one. Handy little guy in a pinch when you want to power a test kit with your car battery :)

The Sola SDU models went from series A to series B with little discernable difference.