Communication Loss to RIO During Intermittent Power Loss

Vox

Having issues with some panelview 600 pluses that have RIO modules not communicating after losing power intermittently. o_O The power is to the panelview and the RIO module gets it's power from the panelview itself. The Panelview is a 2711P-K6M1A and the RIO module is 2711P-RN1.

Welcome to the Forum !

You've posted in the "test post" area, which doesn't get a lot of attention or traffic, so be sure to post future questions up the main forum.

I'm not too surprised that a short "power bump" causes a failure to properly re-initialize the RIO adapter on those terminals. The RIO interface in particular has always been sort of half-hearted.

Is the terminal powered by 24VDC or 120V AC ? How long a power cycle is needed to fully reboot the terminal ?

With RIO support being phased out of the PanelView product line, I don't think you're going to see an architectural change by RA in order to address an uncommon problem that can be addressed using uninterruptible power supplies or voltage monitoring relays.

I use 24V DC "buffer modules" whenever I can on systems at risk of power brownouts. These have helped a great deal in keeping Ethernet switches and HMIs and other associated hardware from undergoing unintentional power cycles.

It's 120V AC. I was there yesterday. The screen froze so he had to cycle power. Then when it came back up he had lost communication with the I/O. After numerous power cycles and redownloading the mer file to no avail, we switched the panelview for a identical spare. That one did not establish the communications either. Then we downloaded an older version of the mer file with one less loop. This one did not establish comms until the third power cycle. This is a Panelview plus 600 to a PLC-5 RIO. It seems odd, the intermittent part, when it finnaly started communiating I get the feeling that it wouldn't have mattered all the re downloading and changing of Panelviews. Could this be an issue with the PLC-5 RIO? Problem is he said he has only had the problem with the Panelview plus 600s. Mer file version? Oh yeah, also the error on the screen after failed boot sometimes read, CRC Validation Failed for the terminal's communication configuration file. Thats all I got.