Communication issues

rusty152

I had a customer of mine today that I sent a new system to tell me that since we downloaded the program with RSlogix500 version 8.4 that he could not communicate with it since his version is 8.1. I was wondering if this is true. I have downloaded programs with my new laptop and software and could still talk to the PLC with the old shop laptop with an older version on it. Any help on this matter would greatly be appreciated.

You might want to find out what flavor your customer has. Starter, Standard, Professional. There is also a Micro and a Micro lite (free) version.

The Micro will only do the Micrologix series the lite (free one) will only do the ML1100 and ML1000.

Last edited:
Do you know which model and firmware controller you shipped ? RSLogix 500 version 8.10 was released just in 2008, so only the very newest controllers won't be supported by it (like MicroLogix 1400 Series B).

Can your customer open the offline file ?

Your customer has to be doing something wrong; the MicroLogix 1000 hasn't changed since 1997.

Both RSLogix 500 version 8.10 and 8.40 are going to work with it, no question.

I'd ask him the usual questions about USB/RS232 converters, what error messages he sees, if he can open the offline file, etc.

There's clearly something wrong, but it's not the RSLogix 500 version.